TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type 3 carbs
Agent_Smith Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:37 pm

i was wondering if there was a kit to put a single carb on a dual port 1600 in a squareback? :?:

Barter_Builder Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:06 pm

Yes, there is a kit. It is called a progressive carb kit. Why would you want to waste time and money on a junk carb like that. You will have to butcher your engine lid to make that carb fit. Go to the classifieds here and score yourself some stock solex carbs and rebuild them. You can also buy a new set of ict webers which many people here run and like. If you want to spend a little more get yourself a set of dual 40 webers but they will be on the higher end. Just my two cents.

notchboy Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:52 pm

Or you can track down the main 3 elements of a solex stock carb. Carb, aircleaner and singleport manifold.

Russ Wolfe Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:18 pm

notchboy wrote: Or you can track down the main 3 elements of a solex stock carb. Carb, aircleaner and singleport manifold.
You forgot the linkage, and that can be the hardest.
If you are removing fuel injection, I would be willing to buy the parts you take off.

notchboy Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:54 pm

Single side draft Russ, not the duals. :wink:

Barter_Builder Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:02 pm

he said dual port notchboy

notchboy Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:58 am

Ah well there you have it then :?

Russ Wolfe Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:55 am

notchboy wrote: Single side draft Russ, not the duals. :wink:

Yeah but single side draft has that special little iink that can be tough to find... :x

SquareTone Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:06 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: notchboy wrote: Or you can track down the main 3 elements of a solex stock carb. Carb, aircleaner and singleport manifold.
If you are removing fuel injection, I would be willing to buy the parts you take off.

Someday somebody's gonna find Russ buried under a mountain of hoarded FI parts. :(

Tony

notchboy Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:10 pm

Odd thing is that most times when you see the single for sale atached to a manifold, its got the stinken little linkage. Its the intake boot with the air cleaner clamp thats tough to find :cry: As oposed to dual stock solexes all day long with no linkage. :x

Hows the ghia Russ? Ive been away fron the T34 and type3.org mail.

blankmange Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:29 am

SquareTone wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: notchboy wrote: Or you can track down the main 3 elements of a solex stock carb. Carb, aircleaner and singleport manifold.

Someday somebody's gonna find Russ buried under a mountain of hoarded FI parts. :(

Tony

if not him, then myself or Mr. Bubblehead....

Russ Wolfe Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:44 pm

notchboy wrote: Odd thing is that most times when you see the single for sale atached to a manifold, its got the stinken little linkage. Its the intake boot with the air cleaner clamp thats tough to find :cry: As oposed to dual stock solexes all day long with no linkage. :x

Hows the ghia Russ? Ive been away fron the T34 and type3.org mail.

If I could stay out of the Dr. offices, I might get something done on the Ghia.
Need an expert to show me where to cut the front clip. I don't think I want to change the dash and firewall.

Russ Wolfe Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:48 pm

SquareTone wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: notchboy wrote: Or you can track down the main 3 elements of a solex stock carb. Carb, aircleaner and singleport manifold.

Tony

I just make the offer. I don't want them thrown in the trash bin. If I get them for free, I pass on the savings.

hoss Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:41 pm

Were the later 1600cc Type 3 engines that had a single-side draft carbs on them as factory options all single-ports or was there ever a dual-port manifold for the single-side draft?

notchboy Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:24 pm

Yes later 1600 standard T3s had single side draft carbs and single port heads. We looked at one at the classic in a 71 red notch. It had dual carb tin with a special adapter around the intake for the SP heads. As far as I know there was never a side draft DP set up.

hoss Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:30 pm

Were Type 3 engines ever dual-ports from the factory or were they always single-ports?

notchboy Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:33 pm

:shock: I though you knew :?: 67 on is dual port, except for the engine described above.

hoss Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:06 am

lol.. I thought I knew too.. but then when you stated you saw that specific '71 notch with side draft carb and single port head it kind of tripped me out. but yeah.. now that I think about it.. duh. i knew the answer to that before i asked it. my bad!