TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Link pin front end question about bushings or bearings
joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:51 pm

i got a adj link pin beam, the olddd style(how era correct for my 62) with only the bottom being adjustable, with no control arms or spindels, anddd

i was told it has bushings in there(never messed with a front end), well i got some(from a buddie for free) and when i went to see if they fit, they dident,(not sure if they are link pin or ball joint) i also noticed bearings in there

now my question is...wich is it sapost to have, or both?

Thanks for any help, and if u have what i need, my email is

[email protected]

thanks a bunch joe

bill may Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:05 pm

needle bearings outer ends and micarta bushings at inner end of torsion arms. micarta bushings have .040" clearance - enough info??

joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:38 pm

no lol, im new at the front end thing, ive only replaced complete drum to drum beams, so at the ends,top and bottom, between the torsion leaves and beam(where the control arms bolt 2) there are just bushings? cause mine has , they arnt ball bearings, they are long and flat rollers, they spin very nice, im just tryin to find out if bushings go over those bearings, then u istale the control arms, and bolt it up.....? also do u have to tourqe those bolts that hold the arms on to the torsion leaves/springs, whatever u call them?

thanks

KantDriveFast Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Boy...nothing like a genuine Los Angeles public school system education. :shock:

joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:49 pm

is it my poor spelling? or lack of using ' and .? :twisted:

Chewbacca Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:57 pm

there is no bushing or anything that runs on the roller bearins if thats what your asking, the trailing arms run directly on the rollers.
If you buy the correct arms for this beam (K+L not balljoint arms) they should fit straight in.

Yes you have to torque down the grub screws in the arms, the grub screw has a corresponding indentaion in the torsion stack which they clamp down against.

joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:02 pm

Thank u!!!!!!!!!! thats what i was aking, im going to use the control arms from my stock beam, 62 bug...

u mean , im sure ill notice when i start taking it aprt more,and clean the old arms up there are markings? that line up? i hate not knowing .....

joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 pm

or do u mean, the grub screws, go into the hole in the torsion bars>

bill may Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:06 pm

what control arms did you find on a 1962 beetle? are they inside the torsion arms? fat chicks have control arms? or is it kuntrle aerms?

joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 pm

the ones on the stock beam, im going to remove them, and put them in this other beam that is adjustable. A what arm>> u know i dont even wanna know, i think your making fun of me

joe13 Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:17 pm

i meant to say trailing arms, not control arms, at least im trying to figure it out, A for effort? :roll:

Chewbacca Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:42 pm

Buy a manual dude