TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: newbie, looking to get my first beetle, what to look for???? Page: 1, 2  Next
tvmango Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:44 pm

I guess I'm getting older, but the 900hp mustang is now all gone and I am looking to get a 50's-60's beetle. Per my 3 year old daughter,,,LOL..

We both love going to car shows and am looking to get a family toy to go to shows with,,,

I have always loved them, my friend has always had his 67 he made into a 4 door.. the thing is awesome..

Anyways,, I really like the older styles, Right now I'm looking at 2 local, 1 is a 1959, the other is a 1963 ragtop.. Both look nice to me, But what should I look for? My friend told me to watch out for floorpan and heater rot..

What is the heater rot he's talking about??

The only thing I plan on doing is lowering it a little and rims and tires, to modernize it a bit.. Just classy though, not pimped out..

Eventually I will get into the engine, but for now I just want a car..

What is the freway flyer transmission? one has that...

Thanks guys, I'm sure I will be one here alot, since I had 6000 posts between the 2 mustang forums I was always on...

Glenn Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:52 pm

The most important thing is to get one with a solid body. Rust and rot is very expensive to fix. Alot mor thant a new engine or interior.

You really want one that has not rot or it will become a major project.

What's your budget?

tvmango Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:51 pm

looking to spend less than 7000.. Yeah I agree on the bodywork!! I don't really care about mechanical things.. I'm a toyota master tech and will figure it out,, but bodywork, I'm not good at.. at all....

There is ALOT of cheap parts for these cars!! It's nice to see it will be a affordable project..

My daughter is funny,, I took her to see the new herbie movie, and now she REALLY wants be to get a beetle.. But trying to make her understand that a real car can't spin around like a skateboard, that she doesn't want to here..

I noticed some have seatbelts, and some don't,, are they a easy add on ??

tsoupee Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:39 pm

i have a 64 not too far from you.my add is on page 12 or up.i haven't updated it lately.go red sox!

KantDriveFast Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:21 pm

Quote: My daughter is funny,, I took her to see the new herbie movie, and now she REALLY wants be to get a beetle.. But trying to make her understand that a real car can't spin around like a skateboard, that she doesn't want to here..

So I guess you'll be getting the ragtop??? Good choice!

submachinegun Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:41 pm

a basic guide to buying a beetle.

in 71 the super beetle was introduced, stay away from these because they are not desired among most VW enthusiasts. it was made along side the standard, you can tell it from it's strut front suspension and fat nose, and it's ugly bubbled out round windshield beginning in 73. i think they look like pregnant standards. or how some people refer to them, fat chicks.

69 and up: swingaxle was changed to IRS suspension. look below for additional.

68 and up: large glass, rubber dash, high back seats, larger lights, wider fenders, bigger bumpers, and 4 lug wheels. later years get even larger lighting and etc along with a vent behind quarter windows in 71.

67: one year only. has features from old and new. 68 and up style headlights with early bumpers, etc. wide 5 lug pattern. smaller lights / signals smaller than 68+. low back seats, metal dash.

65 & 66: early style fenders / headlights with larger glass than earlier models. 6 volt from factory.

62 - 64: smaller glass than newer models. smaller turn signals and minor differences in trim, body.

58 - 61: basically same as above with smaller taillights and other minor differences.

53/54 - 57: oval rear window, smaller signals / lights, dash layout is completely different. parts harder to find. more valuble. other cosmetic differences, yadda yadda.

52/53 and under: split rear window... PICK ONE OF THESE UP IF YOU CAN. ;)

some of this may be a little off, but should be able to help you out.

Nid Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 pm

Earlier is certainly more desireable, but you also have to think about application. Comfort is a big deal to a lot of people, and my '72 super is WAY more comfortable to ride in than my '67 Bug. However, I get a sense of pride that is just plain absent in the '72 out of my '67. It's just pimpin' with the metal dash and smaller tail lights. First concern is rust. Second is mechanicals. Third is age. You decide how you want to drive it, and pick accordingly.

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:39 am

Wow , thanks for the great responses.. I was told by my friend to stay away from the super beetles cause of strut box rot, etc...

KantDriveFast Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

So I guess you'll be getting the ragtop??? Good choice!

.. It is really nice, but the 1959 non rag is really really really nice, looks like a new car... the 63 is a tannish color,, and the 59 is a pea soup green that looks sweet......

I don't know,, it's a hard decision..

but thanks ALOT for all you bits of info,,, esp submachinegun for the great explaination of some differences....

tony

DAM62BUG Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:40 am

Don't be afraid to pull back the carpets and look for rust, especially in the compartment under the rear window and alond the heater channels. If the carper is not removeable take an awl or small screwdriver and start pokin'. Also, get underneath and look for evidence of previous accidents, i.e. weld seams and wrinkled metal. Pull all spark plugs and that will tell you the shape of the engine....Good luck!!!

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:01 am

DAM62BUG wrote: Don't be afraid to pull back the carpets and look for rust, especially in the compartment under the rear window and alond the heater channels. If the carper is not removeable take an awl or small screwdriver and start pokin'. Also, get underneath and look for evidence of previous accidents, i.e. weld seams and wrinkled metal. Pull all spark plugs and that will tell you the shape of the engine....Good luck!!!

do you have a picture of heater channels?? I don't know where they are.. or what they look like..

Chewbacca Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:31 am

The heater channels are the box section shaped channels which run along parrellel to the ground and run from the front firewall to just in front of the rear fender. The door sills are actually the heater channels, they are a very structural part of the car and if rotten are a great safety risk.
Heres a pic of my bug with the pan off, you can see the heater channels clearly.
Also check for rot at the A-pillar to heater channel joint.
hope that made some sense its late and Im tired

<

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 am

perfectly clear,,,, thank you very much... it looks to me like the main fram support of the vehicle!! I guess they are important,,LOL thanks chewy

KantDriveFast Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:51 am

If you're talking about the Pea soup '60 with the 1776, thats not a bad place to start, it should be right in the price range, as long as your looking for something "turn-key". However if the rag your looking at needs a little tlc (paint, int) it will give you the opprtunity to make it what you want, and get to know it inside and out...and depending on how much you modify the rag...it will hold its value better. Just my $.02 Good Luck!

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:20 am

KantDriveFast wrote: If you're talking about the Pea soup '60 with the 1776, thats not a bad place to start, it should be right in the price range, as long as your looking for something "turn-key". However if the rag your looking at needs a little tlc (paint, int) it will give you the opprtunity to make it what you want, and get to know it inside and out...and depending on how much you modify the rag...it will hold its value better. Just my $.02 Good Luck!

I was looking at that bright green one with the 1776 but it sold.. The color I'm talking about is literally like the color of pea soup, it's like a clay/green.. looks aewsome, very different..

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:24 am

this is the one I hope I put it in the right area....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/215523.jpg

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:27 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=215525

and this is the beige 1963 ragtop

KantDriveFast Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:06 am

Both are beautiful!!! Just promise to leave them that way!!!

tvmango Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:07 pm

I made a mistake and fixed all my posts the green one is a 1959.. not a 1960

KantDriveFast Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:29 pm

That '59 is worth more than all the cars behind it!!! Tough choice...Buy both!

John Miller Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Both cars look great. I would be proud to own either one. For some unknown reason I'm oddly drawn to green cars, so my first choice would be the '59. But then again the '63 is a ragtop. If you're concerned above resale value (if both cars are equal in condition) IMO the '63 will be a better investment in the long run just because it is a ragtop. But then again the '59 is green.

Man I would hate to be you. :wink: