TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: This one's for jason!
wolfman's brother Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:05 pm

so 4 years into the resto of my '64 I'm having a change of heart so I'm putting the chassis back up on jackstands and pulling the BRM's off :wink:

I finally decided I want the all stock look with the big motor action and upgraded disc brakes up front BUT I would like to accent the stock 63-64 smoothies I have coming(if the guy hasn't given up on me yet :oops: ) with some of those crisscross trim rings like the ones that have popped up for sale lately. will they work with these smoothies??

I'm also thinking instead of the l41 black of doing something that compliments the safari beige a little better,got any ideas?

60DoubleTurd Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:12 pm

Hoss has em on his 64 S notch and if hes reading this he will post a pic. I checked his gallery and mine and my files but dont have a pic of them. His fit just fine. Its the caps that actually hold them in place.

EverettB Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:39 am

The criss cross rings will fit, as long as they are the Type 3 style so they lay flat. I have a set for my '63, they fit fine. I have test fit them on the 64-65 wheels in the past and they work the same.

hoss Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:36 am

here ya go. they seem to fit great and i've had no problems as long as the hubcap is snapped in all the way to the rim. rims are stock '64/'65 "S" rims.

wolfman's brother Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:49 am

sweeet,time to put in a want ad in the classifieds :D
I got mad when I couldn't put my whitewalls o the sprints
that are on rhd because of the wheels being wider than stock
and the car being lowered.

I figured w/the '64 I'd just run the stocks so I could use my whitewalls
and have that look I desire.

hoss Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:07 pm

What kind of whitewall tires are they? Are they just the portawall inserts or real whitewall tires?

wolfman's brother Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm

3/4" whitewalls from coker,damn if they ain't expensive but it's a sweet look. that's what I put on the '69 that's currently for sale in CA and I was gonna dump that car before I sold it but never got around to it.

this guy has this set for sale,he emailed me but I want to make sure they're right.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=196587

EverettB Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:45 pm

Maybe this helps?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=77840

wolfman's brother Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:53 pm

yeah I tried to explain it to him but I don't think he quite got it but I think if I forward this pic to him I might be able to get to the bottom of this thing. thanks ev :)

notchboy Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:17 pm

NICE! Get er done. That trim is realativly easy to find, as you can see by the posts. Two tone with a black roof?? That would look very cool. :wink: What does the car look like now again??

notchboy Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:45 pm

See these??

http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=189519