TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What color is this?
rickcsvdubs Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:05 am

Sorry it is not a better picture but anyways, in the trunk of my 61 you can see the OG blue paint. I have looked at the paint codes on this site and WW and i cant seem to determine which color it is. The car is a 61 ragtop if that helps. thanks in advance. rick II

RareAir Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:13 am

L390 Gulf Blue

rickcsvdubs Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:53 am

thanks for the pic, when i look at the color sheets gulf blue always looks so dark. well anyways thanks again.

RareAir Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:59 am

Due to different setting in both the camera & computer moniters, looking at color hues can always be decieving. A great example would be the 47 sedan of Guy McDors featured in last months (July 05) issue of Hot VWs magazine. In those published pics, the car looks like a Regal Blue. But if you see the car in person, it is in fact a Dark Blue.

Aussie Greg Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:17 am

99.9% sure its Gulf Blue like mine :) Nice colour

glutamodo Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:25 pm

I like Gulf Blue as well.

Color chips can be very decieving and just plain off. I recently got back some books I had loaned a friend years ago and in them I found some color chips from the 60's that I'd forgotten I had. Even between two paint companies the color chips varied. Here's two Gulf blue chips compared to a car I fixed up in that color many years ago.

-Andy

rickcsvdubs Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:32 am

thanks everyone, well looks like i am going to need some l-390 gulf blue :)