TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cool Westy!!!! - SO36 w/ SO45 kit!?!?
dieselnut Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:51 pm

If this is what I think it is, somebody got a REALLY cool bus. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it sounds like (and kind of looks like) a SO-45 interior.

From the ad - "...cabinets seem to be westy, but different design than usual (removable with quick release clips). Z bed is also different (dual release levers)..."

"Westy deal of the year" on here (so far...)

Oh yea, here's the ad while it's still up - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=192000

Nid Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:53 pm

Now, I'm far from an expert on Campers, or type 2s in general, but isn't that a Dormobile top?

crofty Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:55 pm

dieselnut wrote: If this is what I think it is, somebody got a REALLY cool bus. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it sounds like (and kind of looks like) a SO-45 interior.

From the ad - "...cabinets seem to be westy, but different design than usual (removable with quick release clips). Z bed is also different (dual release levers)..."

"Westy deal of the year" on here (so far...)

Oh yea, here's the ad while it's still up - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=192000

I see laminate, not a SO45.

dieselnut Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:01 pm

I need a bigger monitor....lol

Nid - the top is dormobile but the camper is westy. 90+% of the buses w/ dormobile tops in this country are westys. They're called SO-36's, also referred to as Dormobiles of course. Technically, the correct bus to call a Dormobile is one w/ a Martin Walter kit inside it - as they are also the makers of the roof - do a search for Fig's bus to check one out.

Major Woody Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:22 pm

I see an SO-42 Westy, bench seat early 67 bus with a dormobile roof and the icebox is missing. The cabinetry inside looks kind of pounded, from what little of it is seen. Hole cut in the long cabinet. The spice rack is also missing and someone moved the foldup table to the other cargo door.

Not a bad bus, depending on how much metal work is needed. The floors and rockers look rough.

I see the same clips holding the cabinety in as what you see in all SO-42s.

Windows are weird. One louvered, one fixed, one popout. Wonder what the M plate says.

Buyer is in for a fun parts search and hopefully they know how to weld :idea:

crofty Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:30 pm

Now THAT'S a Dormobile! I do find the tent mounts a little strange though !LOL

Clara Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Major Woody wrote: Windows are weird. One louvered, one fixed, one popout. Wonder what the M plate says.
Bet it says blank for the port code. I've seen a handfull of westys with 4 solids, 2 pop outs with blanks for the port code, AND no westy codes. But they sure look like real westys. My guess is the one louvered window was added.

wow, never saw a dormy top on a flipseat... that's rare!!! and such a pretty color!!!!!!!!!!!

crofty Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:35 pm

Clara wrote:

wow, never saw a dormy top on a flipseat... that's rare!!! and such a pretty color!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially on a high hinge flipseat.

Clara Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm

crofty wrote: Clara wrote:

hey I didn't catch that!!!!!!!

high hinge was through Nov 60,
but turkis/bw started April 61.

hmmmm????????? what's the date on the brochure that pic came from?
and does it show birch front door panels with pockets in another picture?

crofty Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Clara wrote: crofty wrote: Clara wrote:

hey I didn't catch that!!!!!!!

high hinge was through Nov 60,
but turkis/bw started April 61.

hmmmm????????? what's the date on the brochure that pic came from?
and does it show birch front door panels with pockets in another picture?

Black wheel / white horn button? I couldn't find a date on the brochure

The specs are also for a 1493cc engine!

I have a brochure that has a SO34 with the pockets in the front door.

[/img]

kintail Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:10 pm

Having owned a '66 Dormobile w/Westy interior, whenever I had the top up the red/white top fabric was tight as a drum. Have seen a few others in person that has been the case as well.

Where the fabric on the top is hanging loose in the up position I wonder if it is a transplant. The color seems differrent around the fabric...... but that could also be from a vacuum cleaner spray paint job with the top down....

What else causes this??

Scott
'67 SO42
'61 SO23
'59 Karmann Kabrio

frijole73b Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:15 pm

damit someone translate the ads.

Jedi Sat May 03, 2008 6:10 pm

I saw a flip seat dorm in 2004 in sacramento I left a note no one ever called me? They are out there :D

6of1 Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 am

I have a SO34 with Dormobile roof, sometimes called an SO36

Arthur

RPGreg2600 Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 am

Whoa!