TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kinda Hot
vweater1 Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:04 am

I don't know what is wrong with my car but the darn thing keeps backfiring like crazy when I down shift. Recently I broke one of the studs from where you mount the header on the engine and is held by one bolt on the left side. :( Could that be the cause since it has a small exhaust leak. I can't seem to get my carbs sinc'd right, what can I do? What is the best way to try and sinc them up right. And could that be the reason why my car backfires a lot when I down shift. Someone said it could be because I'm running my carbs a little lean? Please help as that's kinda anoying to hear all that backfiring. I backed out on some of the mixture screw on the carbs yesterday where the car ran fine, but now my engine seems like the darn thing is running to hot after a 20mile drive on the freeway speeds of only 65mph. Would like to know if it's time to change the rear fender gasket between body and fender. help I'm going nuts and it's my daily driver. :evil:

notchboy Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 pm

We are gona need to know what kind of carbs and dizzy you a runnin. But right off the bat a broken stud on the exaust is not a good thing and in itself will cause the pop without propper back pressure.

vweater1 Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:00 pm

I'm running dual 34ict's and a 019 dizzy on a 1641cc engine. I was thinking how about I just put some JB weld for now till I get enough money to buy a new or rebuilt head. I'm not really interested on how I will take the exhaust off for now until the time comes. Let me know if this could work or what you would recommend. Thanks for your help.

josh Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:41 pm

Some tuning info here.http://redlineweber.com/
There is also a thread regarding jetting these carbs for a 1776. I think the sizes are pretty close to what you need.

I think the backfiring on downshifts is caused by the exhaust leak. Fix the exhaust leaks. They are bad especially at the head. Exhaust leaks can damage the head.

notchboy Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:31 pm

JB aint gona do Im afraid. You need to remove the exaust and replace the broken stud. Like Josh and I hinted, it may solve the issue :wink: Then you can play with the adjustments on the valves, carbs and timming. Just my 2 cents.

vweater1 Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:31 am

Thanks for your input guys I'll try not to use my car until then, but since it's my daily driver it's gonna be kinda hard. I'm gonna try and find a ride to work till I fix this issue. Once again thanks for all your help.