TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Auto-stick into SB
wynsquezr Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:57 am

I have an opertunity to pick up complete auto-stick out of 71 Beetle(he's going to manual) and as much as she loves her little car ,wife's only regret is lack of automatic tranny(she has a chronic cervical strain-a real pain in neck). Yeah I understand it still has to be shifted? - is it an easier shift than manual - wouuld she get enough relief (how do you drive in town- shift wise) to make it worth my while to swap into SB. What about linkage?

So many questions - so little mind

LouisB Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:04 am

I think I would put a real T3 auto in and use the autosuck as a boat anchor. I am not even sure it would pull a heavy T3. You should be able to find someone who wants to convert thier auto to a stick and swap pans or parts.

Air_Cooled_Nut Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:04 pm

I agree, get a REAL automatic, get the T3 automatic! 8)

wynsquezr Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:24 pm

OK so there's no point in beating a dead stick - it was just one of those lost in ... what was I thinking ... Space kind of thoughts. But just for grins and giggles if I found true auto-how does lnkage differ - same locations?

blueyzdave Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:15 pm

I would not put in the auto stick. I have a notchback,fastback,squareback with automatics and they dreive wonderfully. I bought an auto stick bug, had to convert it to a manual. You shift pretty much the same, without a clutch tough. Autosticks were a terrible design. Can't get parts, and don't know how long they'll last. Best idea is to put in an automatic

josh Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:54 am

Converting is going to be a major pain not a bolt in and will require some fabricating. If you need an automatic, I suggest you look for and automatic and sell the manual when you can.

wynsquezr Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:15 pm

Oh god what was I thinking :lol:

Popular opinion seems that I would be dummer than I look to think about putting an auto-stick in. I'll scratch that thought right away. As for an automatic-what about linkage going from stick to auto. will I incounter major headaches

blankmange Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:34 pm

wynsquezr wrote: Oh god what was I thinking :lol:

Popular opinion seems that I would be dummer than I look to think about putting an auto-stick in. I'll scratch that thought right away. As for an automatic-what about linkage going from stick to auto. will I incounter major headaches

not necessarily dumb at all - you had an opportunity and weren't sure if it would work out or not....

wynsquezr Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:36 pm

You're right maybe just wishful thinking on that change. If I find an auto what about the linkage though.

Notched Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Think about all the parts you will need to convert:

You'll need a full auto transmission (plus axles, since they're different), the auto trans front mount, the auto pedal assembly, may or may not need the correct engine for an auto trans (the case was different from the factory), all of the shifter assembly, shifter cable.

That's most of the stuff I can think of.

I'm not sure if all of this will work in a manual pan or not...

I'd say it's wayyyy easier to find an automatic car, than to convert.

wynsquezr Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:58 pm

:lol: Ignorance is Bliss :lol:

Thanks for straight up answer. Being raised American,car wise. You know put on flex plate,bolt up auto.,cut/drill floor pan for appropriate B&M linkage,drive. worst case scenario,drill new third member location and have shaft made to length. No thought to pan or cases nor pedal assembly.

Since the engineering has so far proven flawless in design and function once you understand how the machine is designed to be run. My thought of conversion,like the wind, entered one ear and is now out the other.

I guess this ends my thoughts of an auto,can't let loose with 25 years of family history for convenience sake and next will be an exempt camper for us two. 8) :lol: