TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door seal trouble
69fastbuck Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:07 am

Any one have suggestions for replacing door seals? I bought the best seal ISP had to offer.But the doors won't shut.(rubbers to thick)I've tried shaving them down with no success.Thanks,Buck

urchin Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:26 am

I have the same problem its lousy $200.00 and the stuff is junk. I am going to rip mine off and replace with the ones ddb has if they are still available. I shaved mine and it helped a bit but not much. I figure its going to spring the doors

FASTBACKDON Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:01 pm

sounds about right for their rubber sorry to hear this i have aftermarket rubber i will sell it is not OG

negawsklov17 Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:58 pm

The $10 Brazilian rubber works just fine on my car, no leaks and it shuts fine :)

2bugtony Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:34 am

Where did you got the $10 Brazilian rubber from? I need some for a fast back.
Tony

69fastbuck Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:17 pm

Fastbackdon,What is (og).

FASTBACKDON Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:40 pm

original german

Tvättbjörn Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:46 pm

how bad does the seal fit or much stays the door open? Back in the 80`s when we installed new VW door seals on t3´s we always had the problem! You really had to slam the door real hard to close it and that were with original vW door seals!

69fastbuck Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:23 am

After shaving the seal down. they won't close all the way. I let them on the first click for about a month hoping they would compress.

blarneyman Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:56 am

I'm in the middle of replacing the door seals on my 2 beetles and they are the same way. I have to lean against the doors to open them, and really slam them to shut. I don't think you will spring the doors if you close them all the way. It's a tight fit but not that tight (at least on mine) :)

blankmange Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:26 am

buy the DDB set and do away with the pain in the ass seals on the door...

fit great, seal great and look great.....

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:31 am

negawsklov17 wrote: The $10 Brazilian rubber works just fine on my car, no leaks and it shuts fine :)
Did you just install it? The Brazillian seals work great for about 6 months, after that they will crack and deteriorate.

urchin Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:22 am

DDB did have a price and such on there site but I don,t see it anymore. Anyway my seals have been on about 3 months and have not compressed a bit. To me it has to be bad on the door to put that much strain into closing it. With th window down it does close easier. but I would say my doors hang out 1/2" frome the body.

blankmange Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:29 am

here you go:

http://www.theddb.com/new/DDB_products/index.html

check 'door seals' -- $65.00 and no bullshit...

PIMPPRIDE Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:46 am

we install a MINIMUM of 4 sets of our German door seals a month, with no problems, and have been using this same seal for many years,

is your car early or late model? ( 3 bolt door vs. 2 bolt door ) is your door alignment correct? is the latch good & working with no wobble in it? is the striker miss aligned or worn out? does the door actually close correctly all the way without the seal? did you clean off all the old door seal from the door? excess glue ect?

their is allot of reasons you could be having fitting the seal, just saying " because they are junk " is not one of them,

Anthony / ISP WEST

urchin Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:04 pm

I stripped my doors down to bare metal all rubber cleaned up . Professional body shop fitted doors and aligned. trimed seals to fit bottom as they were hanging out. The problem seems to be with mine anyway where they meet the front post. I have a 66 sq back. Both doors are the same. The rubber is excellent but they just seem to big. Maybe you could give us some tips. I can e-mail pictures if you would like. Just don,t ask me to post them to the Samba as I have not figured it out yet. I replaced all the rubber on my car and it all seems to big. I have done several other cars over. Chevs mainly and the aftermarket stuff for them is also too big. Vent rubber door gaskets. So I guess maybe junk is the wrong word Just not a great fit. I know they seal well Like all the bugs I drove and had in my younger days you get used to opening the window to make sure the door shuts properly

urchin Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:11 pm

P.S I bought mine from cipi so I am not bitchin about the supplier. Just the product.

69fastbuck Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:13 pm

I have the same problem in the front of door seal it binds the door.I looked at the ddb seals but there is no seal along the sill plate.I live in the east where we drive in the rain & cold once in awhile.And I'am not sure about that big of an air gap.
I talked to 3 car restorers,Chevy,Lancia,Ferrari all had trouble with reproduction rubber.