TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Started Custom dash Page: 1, 2  Next
OVERHAULIN67 Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:42 pm

Well started my custom dash today:

Just the beginning, but there aresome changes comming. Tommorow I'm laying the fiberglass....should be pretty interesting once it's done.

KantDriveFast Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:45 pm

Neat idea...but won't the rear-ends of those components interfere with each other?

OVERHAULIN67 Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:55 pm

Nope....the way it's all going to fit in there nothing will interfer with anything else. There really isn't alot going in there....Radio with CD player and navigation....NO DVD!! All of the normal switches and at the bottom will be her center speaker for her surround sound system...she likes classical and you really don't get the fullness of it until you hear it in surround sound or go to the theater.

KantDriveFast Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:06 pm

Cool...good luck! Once you start cutting...theres no goin' back!

OVERHAULIN67 Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:13 pm

Unlike Wood in metal fabrication you add take away after cutting I can always go find another dash and cut it out and weld it back in.

sbnova Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:41 am

I think it looks good. You might want to make recessed areas for the CD player and other electronics, to hold them in a more normal position. Some CD players have less tendency to skip when mounted near horizontal. They have a little "chassis" inside that has more suspension in some directions more so than in others.

Twisted Plan Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:26 pm

Very cool..
Id say the cd player should be flat aswell..
But non the less very look..
You have more pix?
Peace Troy

OVERHAULIN67 Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:03 pm

I started building the frame for it yesterday. Everything was pretty easy to figure out so thursday when I get back to working on it I need to make a couple of changes.

The CD player will be flat...what you see is just a visual idea of what it could look like.
In fact she will have CD/NAVIGATION touchscreen of course.

Yeah I have more pics but I need a place to load them up.

John

Twisted Plan Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:51 am

Right-on man I understand..
I wish I could weld or knew a welder..
You can rip some crazy stuff..
What kind of products do you plan on installing..
Im an audio guy .. just wondering..
Also Try this link.. I use it as my backup..lol
Free & you can show off you work too..
Peace Troy
http://www.cardomain.com

OVERHAULIN67 Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:45 am

You ever thought you had a plan that made things easier to build?? Then you started working the plan then find out that there is a better way? After all the work you just did...Well for me yesterday it happened to me. Today I'm going to the metal shop and picking up some 1/16 sheet metal and doing everything backwards!! My thought was to build a frame then cover the frame with wood or sheet metal. Well yesterday while trying to get the wood to conform it dawned on me that if I weld the sheet metal in first I can then begin to build a frame inside of it...I will have to figure out this picture thing to show you. But today it's going to look pretty good.

67 Bug Sedan (Under Construction)
Check for pictures of it here http://www.lowlifevw.com/
Look in the Gallery under projects and all the pictures from OVERHAULIN67

"I want to scare the hell out of the rest of the world."

Colin Powell

UncleBob Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:10 am

OverHaulin67,

Have you ever been over the volksrodders forum? Your wacky ideas would be welcomed with open arms over there. :lol:

http://www.volksrods.com/

Really, there are quite a few experts on molding, cutting, and out-of-the-ordinary modifications on that site. Not knocking that in any way. I enjoy reading the cutting board forums over there just to see different ideas and approaches on things.

bill may Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:14 am

how is shifter location? gonna recess for shift knob?

sovereignsamba Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am

HAHAHAH wtf. thats ugly.

suckmyexhaust Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:06 am

I like the set up, but question on why you need theater surrround sound when most cd's are produced in stereo.

sovereignsamba Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 am

suckmyexhaust wrote: I like the set up, but question on why you need theater surrround sound when most cd's are produced in stereo.

good call.

OVERHAULIN67 Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:16 am

Been looking onthe internet for the surround sound componet and what I'm finding is exactly what you mentioned....most CD's are produced in stereo. Just for more info BMW and MERCEDES is coming out with surround sound in their cars next year which tells me that there has to be a new way to record music to CD....and the CD they are going to use will hold ALOT of info for use in that system.
I guess the surround sound thing was abit over the top maybe but the system that is going in the car is going to be awesome!

sovereignsamba Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:26 am

There are no NEW ways to record music to cds. The problem is that 99.9% of corprate record companies, indie record labels independent recording artists & everything under & between still records in stereo, there is no reason to record music in anything but stereo, because you add depth by intergrating EQ & reverb. Really, there is no reason for anyone to switch & start recording in surround sound & I don't think anyone is going to be. Surround sound is basicly just movies only. Do you have surround sound on your computer? If you do I can show you an example. I have a 16 track recording & I could make it surround sound, then I can show you the finished track wich is stereo & it would sound just as good if not better. Plus VWs are really to small to be able to create a surround sound effect, it's almost pointless being stereo since the sound bounces around so much. Just stick with stereo, you & your wallet will be a lot happier.

OVERHAULIN67 Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:48 am

shane red wrote: There are no NEW ways to record music to cds. The problem is that 99.9% of corprate record companies, indie record labels independent recording artists & everything under & between still records in stereo, there is no reason to record music in anything but stereo, because you add depth by intergrating EQ & reverb. Really, there is no reason for anyone to switch & start recording in surround sound & I don't think anyone is going to be. Surround sound is basicly just movies only. Do you have surround sound on your computer? If you do I can show you an example. I have a 16 track recording & I could make it surround sound, then I can show you the finished track wich is stereo & it would sound just as good if not better. Plus VWs are really to small to be able to create a surround sound effect, it's almost pointless being stereo since the sound bounces around so much. Just stick with stereo, you & your wallet will be a lot happier.

Super Audio CDs (SACDs).
Sony and Philips, the companies that teamed up to create the original audio CD, have reunited to develop Super Audio CD technology. SACD uses a new process of sound recording and reproduction called Direct Stream Digital™ (DSD). DSD enables a much more direct signal path than the Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) format of original CD, which requires a number of interpolation and over-sampling filters during recording and playback. The result of DSD's simplified signal path, and of its ultra-high 2.82 MHz sampling rate, is a more faithful reproduction of the original source material and richer, warmer sound.

Although SACDs look the same as standard discs, they can hold much more digital information than regular CDs. All SACDs contain a studio-mixed, high-resolution stereo signal, and many also contain a high-resolution surround sound signal, which can carry up to six independent channels.

Many (but not all) SACD recordings are hybrid discs. They contain two distinct layers of musical information — a Super Audio layer and a standard PCM CD layer. These hybrid discs deliver high-resolution sound when played on SACD players, and they're backwards compatible for standard digital sound with regular CD players. While SACD holds a lot of promise as a high-resolution multichannel format, no manufacturers are, as of yet, producing SACD equipment for the car.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/caraudio/processors.asp

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050708.008

http://www.ehow.com/how_11215_add-surround-sound.html
read number 7

Go here for more up to date info on surround sound in cars.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/le...p;page=all

A stereo sounds as good as you build it. Position of speakers...the power used to drive them and what you have managing all of it....almost forgot the quality of the recording played. ANY car can sound good....even a bug!

I'm simply saying quality can be had....for some at a cost.....[/url]

suckmyexhaust Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:31 am

OVERHAULIN67 wrote: shane red wrote: There are no NEW ways to record music to cds. The problem is that 99.9% of corprate record companies, indie record labels independent recording artists & everything under & between still records in stereo, there is no reason to record music in anything but stereo, because you add depth by intergrating EQ & reverb. Really, there is no reason for anyone to switch & start recording in surround sound & I don't think anyone is going to be. Surround sound is basicly just movies only. Do you have surround sound on your computer? If you do I can show you an example. I have a 16 track recording & I could make it surround sound, then I can show you the finished track wich is stereo & it would sound just as good if not better. Plus VWs are really to small to be able to create a surround sound effect, it's almost pointless being stereo since the sound bounces around so much. Just stick with stereo, you & your wallet will be a lot happier.

yeah, I forgot about the SACD's. But there arent that many titles out there yet? I was never really big on SACD's when I was at Circuit City. Just a way of saying my penis is bigger then yours.

Super Audio CDs (SACDs).
Sony and Philips, the companies that teamed up to create the original audio CD, have reunited to develop Super Audio CD technology. SACD uses a new process of sound recording and reproduction called Direct Stream Digital™ (DSD). DSD enables a much more direct signal path than the Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) format of original CD, which requires a number of interpolation and over-sampling filters during recording and playback. The result of DSD's simplified signal path, and of its ultra-high 2.82 MHz sampling rate, is a more faithful reproduction of the original source material and richer, warmer sound.

Although SACDs look the same as standard discs, they can hold much more digital information than regular CDs. All SACDs contain a studio-mixed, high-resolution stereo signal, and many also contain a high-resolution surround sound signal, which can carry up to six independent channels.

Many (but not all) SACD recordings are hybrid discs. They contain two distinct layers of musical information — a Super Audio layer and a standard PCM CD layer. These hybrid discs deliver high-resolution sound when played on SACD players, and they're backwards compatible for standard digital sound with regular CD players. While SACD holds a lot of promise as a high-resolution multichannel format, no manufacturers are, as of yet, producing SACD equipment for the car.

read number 7

A stereo sounds as good as you build it. Position of speakers...the power used to drive them and what you have managing all of it....almost forgot the quality of the recording played. ANY car can sound good....even a bug!

sovereignsamba Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:33 pm

OVERHAULIN67 wrote: shane red wrote: There are no NEW ways to record music to cds. The problem is that 99.9% of corprate record companies, indie record labels independent recording artists & everything under & between still records in stereo, there is no reason to record music in anything but stereo, because you add depth by intergrating EQ & reverb. Really, there is no reason for anyone to switch & start recording in surround sound & I don't think anyone is going to be. Surround sound is basicly just movies only. Do you have surround sound on your computer? If you do I can show you an example. I have a 16 track recording & I could make it surround sound, then I can show you the finished track wich is stereo & it would sound just as good if not better. Plus VWs are really to small to be able to create a surround sound effect, it's almost pointless being stereo since the sound bounces around so much. Just stick with stereo, you & your wallet will be a lot happier.

Super Audio CDs (SACDs).

read number 7

Impressive, where'd you find that information? I am aware of DSD, but it's not necessarily a NEW way to record, it's just a more accurate way to sample waveforms & encode them. It's the same basic process & it will never be as accurate as the vinyl print. I was not aware that they were producing these cds. The problem I still see, is how many people are actually going to record in these formats??? You can't convert stereo recordings, it would have to be that format from the begining which Almost none of the recording studios in the world are capable of at this point. & I would bet, that when the technology is available & affordable, the majority of them will not think it's necessary, & a lot of them won't even like it. Half of recording studios today still prefer analog equipment over new & easier digital. Thats 25-35 year old technology. As a musician, I like the warm sound of vaccum tube preamps, overdriven transformers & inaccurate large diaphram microphones. Fuck accuracy, half of the art is recording.