TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I may be an idiot newb, but I know when to ask for help
bluestar Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:59 pm

well where do i begin,
I bought a 66 squareback as a project...my first real project.
anyway, picked it up from the guy and drove it home, however it would only start by poping the clutch. no problem I figure, it had been sitting for a year, so i dropped a new battery in it. But still no luck, it would just turn and turn but never get going. But would still start with a roll. However i shortly learnned that after it had been running i could then get get it to start with a push of the button.
I began my trouble shouting, as miss-directed as it may be/ have been. and in the process figured it would be good to replace spark plugs and wires, which where in pretty bad shape. The points looked really bad, so I replaced them and the condensor. I pulled the distributor so maybe I didn't get it seated all the way in when I put it back in, and maybe I didn't get the points set correctly (although it seems fairly straight forward). I've checked all electrical connections and things seem to be in order. Still nothing. In facted i F'd things up even more, now I push it down the hill and pop the clutch and the engine won't run in idol, nor will it respond the gas pedal when in gear (although the throttle is functioning)

Right now I don't even know where to begin. maybe the wide world of VW's isn't for me.

please don't be too brutal. I can take some criticism, but would very much like some help.

adam

Russ Wolfe Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:57 pm

It is too late to back up.
Your original problem was probably a flacky ignition switch or low voltage to the coil while cranking.
Check the hard starting bulletin here.
http://classicvw.org/vwdocs.html

May be worn starter bushings, this is a good possibility.
If the condensor you pulled out was a Bosch brand, put it back. It is probably better than any you will buy today.
Make sure the plug wires are in the right order. 1, 4, 3, 2.
#1 on the engine is Right Front. Right is as looking forward in the car.
#3 is Left Front.
Make sure the distributor is all the way down.
Make sure you have about .016" gap on the points. don't get too picky to get it started, just close.

bluestar Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:03 pm

thanks!

I will check those things... any number could be my problem

adam