TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hand Crank
Mike Edwards Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:17 am

Finally got around to installing the hand crank I bought from Mike Crip last year. What a blast! I may never use the starter again.
Anyway.....
I need a way to cover the hole in the rear tin. It is right by the muffler and I don't want to draw in that hot air. Just curious what others have used.
Thanks,
Mike

Towel Rail Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:52 am

I plan to install a little swiveling metal piece on my tin with a bolt on one side and a little hook on the other, with some kind of rubber stopper between them.

I haven't really sketched it out well, but you get the idea. For some more vintage-approved ideas, look up "crank start tin" in the Classifieds section.

markie61 Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Old thread....
New video.....

Keys!!??? We don't need no stinkin' keys....!

Mark

Towel Rail Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Coolness! I had not yet seen that video! :)

Since my earlier post, I discovered that my frame horns were sprung enough that my engine was too misaligned to use the crank. :( I'll have to wait until after the resto to crank-start this Thing...

Go-SpeedRacer Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:16 pm

You see where those tail lights are mounted, is that a Euro set up, not only are they bus tail lights, I assume but, they are down close to the bumper in lieu of up high on the slanted part. Looks pretty clean.

markie61 Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Go-SpeedRacer wrote: You see where those tail lights are mounted, is that a Euro set up, not only are they bus tail lights, I assume but, they are down close to the bumper in lieu of up high on the slanted part. Looks pretty clean.

The spoken German on the video is another clue that it is a European vehicle :wink: . I prefer the look of the orginal lights down low over the elephant feet up high on US models, but think the slickest are the aftermarket flat ones up high.

Mark

Ferretkona Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Go-SpeedRacer wrote: You see where those tail lights are mounted, is that a Euro set up, not only are they bus tail lights, I assume but, they are down close to the bumper in lieu of up high on the slanted part. Looks pretty clean.

All Things, 181, 182 (or whatever names were used) previous to our imported 73's and 74's came with the bus lights. 73 buses did not use them either.

Woreign Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:11 am

It's a shame that the North American models didn't come with the crank... Probably because VW was afraid that someone would hurt themself and want to sue, or we're too lazy to use a crank and are expected to call roadside service!

By the way, what does the kit consist of? A crank, special drive pulley nut, and a rear engine tin with a hole in it?

markie61 Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:55 am

It also looks like like the crank handle itself has some sort of ratching mechanism/freewheel built in so the crank doesn't spin with the running engine and take someone's head off.

Mark

Towel Rail Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 am

markie61 wrote: It also looks like like the crank handle itself has some sort of ratching mechanism/freewheel built in so the crank doesn't spin with the running engine and take someone's head off.

Mark

Nope. That's built into the nut. There are "ramps" built into the side of the nut that keep it from engaging with the crank once the engine is moving faster than the crank.

markie61 Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:06 am

Oh....in the video, it sounded like some sort of ratcheting sound.
Yeah, I'll bet that crank setup has more potential for hitting someone in the head than a gas heater blowing up...
Mark

oorwullie Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 am

markie61 wrote:
Yeah, I'll bet that crank setup has more potential for hitting someone in the head than a gas heater blowing up.
Mark

not really, it's pretty foolproof provided you don't have your thumb around the handle and it kicks back!

i was rooting around in one of my sheds last week and discovered (among other things)2 more cranks i'd forgotten about. i think the bent one is from my 65 army bus(used regularly till i converted to 12v) and that the shorter one is from a 63 army bus i broke about 15 years ago, but it might be an original trekker one.

Towel Rail Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:23 am

oorwullie wrote: i was rooting around in one of my sheds last week and discovered (among other things)2 more cranks i'd forgotten about. i think the bent one is from my 65 army bus(used regularly till i converted to 12v) and that the shorter one is from a 63 army bus i broke about 15 years ago, but it might be an original trekker one.

That longer one looks like it could work for a beetle (assuming you straightened it.)

lukesky Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:24 pm

As far as the cover for the hole in the bumper (Towel Rail, you've seen this), the P.O. of mine took an old round trailer light plug socket and screwed it on into the hole, making it look like you'd plug the trailer lights in there. Of course, it took me a while (and TRail's help) to figure that with no trailer hitch and none of the wires being connected, it was unlikely that anyone would ever plug anything into it.

I have replaced it with a newer VW emblem.

oorwullie Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:35 am

i'll post a pic of the original rear tin with crank hole later. :arrow:

oorwullie Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:05 am

Video Bob Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Having been raised in the dark ages, when tractors were started with a crank, I offer this bit of information. Do not wrap your thumb around the crank handle. Place all fingers and thumb on the same side of the crank handle. Thus if the engine backfires, it will not break your thumb on the reverse spin. Age sometimes has it's benefits :P :P

oorwullie Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 am

Video Bob wrote: Having been raised in the dark ages, when tractors were started with a crank, I offer this bit of information. Do not wrap your thumb around the crank handle. Place all fingers and thumb on the same side of the crank handle. Thus if the engine backfires, it will not break your thumb on the reverse spin. Age sometimes has it's benefits :P :P

this is true. :wink:

i learned at an early age with cement mixers and dumper trucks on building sites.

pewe_kodok Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:10 am

where i can get hand crank set? like special nut, and crank arm