TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: full flow setup question
aussie01 Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:44 pm

I'm installing my new 1776 this weekend, and i'm hoping to have all ready to hookup my external oil filter as well. Does anybody have a pic of there setup, any reccomendations, what length of hoses and what fittings needed. I'm hoping to have all parts needed so that engine can be fired up this weekend.

thanks!

jaransonT3 Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 pm

aussie01 wrote: I'm installing my new 1776 this weekend, and i'm hoping to have all ready to hookup my external oil filter as well. Does anybody have a pic of there setup, any reccomendations, what length of hoses and what fittings needed. I'm hoping to have all parts needed so that engine can be fired up this weekend.

thanks!

This is what I did with mine.

I used a Late Type 3 case for Sophy's engine. I modified a Type 3 rear engine hanger bar to mount the filter. Sophy is a 66 and swingaxle so the rear engine hanger bar is not needed. For late IRS cars, you can modify the engine hanger bar to mount the filter on it and still use it for the rear engine mount. Jim Adney has a nice little full-size CAD drawing that shows were to relieve the bar and drill the holes and stuff and can be used as a template. Send him off an e-mail. He used to send the drrawing out for $1 to cover postage and trouble.

aussie01 Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:11 pm

does anyone else have an external oil filter on there T3. The hanger bar looks good, I was hoping to find a way to mount with what I already have though. Is full flow a bit of a P.I.T.A on a T3? (especially if it's lowered)

BerT3 Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:08 am

Hello,

Here's a new product of mine:

Lasercut out of 8mm aluminium

Fit's inside the rear bumper bracket - clears stock engine !

BTW lasercutting (actually watercutting) in alu is not cheap.
Per one $ 50 to cut !

BerT3

tripicana Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:28 am

i mounted my oil filter on the body, to a plate that bolts where the heater tubes come into the cabin from the engine bay. i don't have heat since i'm running a header, and my external oil cooler is mounted back there under the trans.
bert and jaranson, how vunerable to road debris are those filters?

PIMPPRIDE Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:12 am

BerT3 wrote: Hello,

Here's a new product of mine:

Lasercut out of 8mm aluminium

Fit's inside the rear bumper bracket - clears stock engine !

DAMM! you stolid my idea... :lol: that's funny, we had our billet machinist drawn up something very similar about a year ago, we just have not had time on the NC to cut them...

Anthony / ISP WEST

jaransonT3 Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:47 pm

tripicana wrote: i mounted my oil filter on the body, to a plate that bolts where the heater tubes come into the cabin from the engine bay. i don't have heat since i'm running a header, and my external oil cooler is mounted back there under the trans.
bert and jaranson, how vunerable to road debris are those filters?

I put about a thousand miles on mine and the oil filter had a few dings in it, but I dont drive many dirt roads with mine. I doubt that it would be a real problem.......but I did fabricate a simple sheetmetal guard for the filter. I have a few pictures I can post when I get home.

One advantage of my current set-up over the others that have been mentioned is that the filter is mounted to the engine, not the body. I don't have to do anything to the filter when I drop the engine. It just comes out with it. I originally had mine mounted on the body (in roughly the same spot), it was always a pain to undo the filter adapter bolts and then have the filter dangling by the soft lines, when you had to take the engine out.

BerT3 Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Quote: One advantage of my current set-up over the others that have been mentioned is that the filter is mounted to the engine, not the body. I don't have to do anything to the filter when I drop the engine. It just comes out with it. I originally had mine mounted on the body (in roughly the same spot), it was always a pain to undo the filter adapter bolts and then have the filter dangling by the soft lines, when you had to take the engine out.

It's indeed an advantage I took into consideration too.

But read a lot about - and measured a lot - about heating up the filter I decided to mount it on the body away from the exhaust.

Had this setup for years - just had it redrawn now - NO problems whatsoever.

Quote: DAMM! you stolid my idea... that's funny, we had our billet machinist drawn up something very similar about a year ago, we just have not had time on the NC to cut them...

Always ahead then - just like my dropped spindles and air ride - can't say it enough :evil:

BTW you got my proposal for those trunk deadening ?
Still improving the drawing.

BerT3

miguedangel Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:54 am

Great job!!!!