TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: To sell or not to sell...
Bugman_Jeff Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:43 am

I've been really struggling with this question lately. I love my Fasty, but the car has been a bit of a money pit for me. And as of late the engine has this "dead hole" syndrome that I haven't figured out yet. Last time I tried to drive it, it started puking oil and it was the last straw. I parked it.

Yesterday I finally got under there and found the valve cover gasket wasn't sealing on one side, and since I had adjusted the valves recently, I could not blame the car for that. I had put some B-12 Chemtool in the tank the last time I drove it, and it didn't seem to help at the time. But yesterday, it seemed to run much better, though I didn't take it out on the road.

It wasn't until I heard a report about the possibility of $3 a gallon gas prices that I started to rethink that. The car still needs some TLC, but would make a good commuter car in the meantime. I've also thought of trading it for a square or a T4 powered bus, as my family is about to instantly double. And multi-purpose is a big thing with me. And since the Fasty is more of a fun car to drive,... I'm perplexed to say the least.

So enough of my little rant, or thinking out loud, or whatever you wanna call this. So what are your thoughts guys? Just curious. Thanks! 8)

Barter_Builder Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:49 pm

I say be patient and find someone who can help you figure out your problems. The square or bus I'm sure are not guaranteed to not be money pits as well. I hear ya on the frustration but sometimes we just have to stand back rethink the situation and ask for help. The vw community I have found is pretty tight and I'm sure there is someone knowledgeable willing to help you. With that note good luck on whatever you decide.

brent67 Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:31 pm

I totally agree with the advice given on being patient. But the other side of that coin is being sure that your problems are not major. I mean, aside from the little annoyances (that seem to be part of the ACVW experience if you ask me) that you have been having, does the car still have good power? and does it feel "sound" on the whole? you know, things like shimmies, wobbles, braking doesn't inspire confidence? Things that would indicate major problems.

You are also well situated for help from knowledgeable type3 folks being in the Northwest....contact Martin at theddb, I'm sure he can at least offer some helpful advice and more than that can provide parts/service too if necessary...he has been working on my type3's for years now and I trust him and recommend him to others as well.

On the subject of versatility and the ability to grow with your family....A Squareback is hard to beat on both those counts....my '67 is my daily driver and has yet to disappoint me as far as the way it drives and how much stuff i can cram into it...hell, you can even sleep in it in a pinch. Type2's are OK (I guess) but you trade the superior handling and comfort of a type3 to get not a whole lot more space in my book.