TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lead on a 69 Fasty Page: 1, 2  Next
Gary Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:37 pm

I have a lead on a 1969 Fasty and will jump on it if I can. My son had claimed the Bus as his when he gets his license, but I think a Fasty would be a better car.

Anyway, didn't T3's come with FI in 1969? If they did, then I am going to do my best to get this car and make it a daily.

lonotch Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:39 pm

Yes, 69's came with FI.

Gary Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:44 pm

lonotch wrote: Yes, 69's came with FI.

That officially kicks major ass. I had that one Fasty a while back that I sold for a guy. I didn't want another project at the time and knew I'd hate myself for letting it go.

And I am hating myself to this day :(

lonotch Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:48 pm

They sure drive nice, I had one that I made a roadster out of.
Since it was a custom, I sold the FI and went to carbs, so some lucky soul hopefully is using thhe FI now.

FASTBACKDON Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:47 pm

get the FASTBACK you will love it i had one of the 1st cal look (i know ) fastbacks in southern calif in the 70's a 67 sold it and kick myself everyday for selling it now i have my 69 cal look i love the car you wont go wrong with one they are rare here i dont know about where you live im near L.A.X. but save all the type 3's possible if you need parts help let me know no promisses but I WILL HELP ha ha F.I. or not Don

Gary Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:03 pm

FASTBACKDON wrote: get the FASTBACK you will love it i had one of the 1st cal look (i know ) fastbacks in southern calif in the 70's a 67 sold it and kick myself everyday for selling it now i have my 69 cal look i love the car you wont go wrong with one they are rare here i dont know about where you live im near L.A.X. but save all the type 3's possible if you need parts help let me know no promisses but I WILL HELP ha ha F.I. or not Don

I'm in Oklahoma, right near OKC.

SquareTone Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Icy wrote: I have a lead on a 1969 Fasty and will jump on it if I can. My son had claimed the Bus as his when he gets his license, but I think a Fasty would be a better car.

Anyway, didn't T3's come with FI in 1969? If they did, then I am going to do my best to get this car and make it a daily.

Wait a minute! I thought you were a Karmann guy. Been hanging around here too long?

Gary Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:00 pm

SquareTone wrote: Icy wrote: I have a lead on a 1969 Fasty and will jump on it if I can. My son had claimed the Bus as his when he gets his license, but I think a Fasty would be a better car.

Wait a minute! I thought you were a Karmann guy. Been hanging around here too long?

I'm a VWaholic. It's all good \:D/

cd69ny Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:15 pm

I'd jump on it if I was you. I jumped on my '69 Fastback 4 years ago and am glad everyday that I did. After some bugs in the FI (mainly me being new and stupid to Type 3s) the car runs great with dual carbs, but I kept all the FI gear in the hopes of putting it back on one day. Lately the car has been a daily driver for me for the past couple of months and performs flawless as expected.
If you jump on it you'll find out what all us Type 3 types have been keeping secret :-S They are hella cool on the open road and cruise all day at 70-75mph, and last month on a trip to a show my fasty got 32 mpg at Interstate speeds! Can't beat that, not to mention the smooth ride.

Dave
'69 Fastback
'68 dormobile

Gary Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:29 pm

cd69ny wrote: I'd jump on it if I was you. I jumped on my '69 Fastback 4 years ago and am glad everyday that I did. After some bugs in the FI (mainly me being new and stupid to Type 3s) the car runs great with dual carbs, but I kept all the FI gear in the hopes of putting it back on one day. Lately the car has been a daily driver for me for the past couple of months and performs flawless as expected.
If you jump on it you'll find out what all us Type 3 types have been keeping secret :-S They are hella cool on the open road and cruise all day at 70-75mph, and last month on a trip to a show my fasty got 32 mpg at Interstate speeds! Can't beat that, not to mention the smooth ride.

Dave
'69 Fastback
'68 dormobile

Especially since I live in Oklahoma and don't run my A/C. No, I am not joking. I have run my A/C three times this year, and that was to get the moisture off of my windshield for the morning drive. I haven't even run the A/C in my house, except for the semi-annual maintenance check. I live in the sticks, so I pull all the cool air I need in with fans.

typfasty Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:26 pm

If you get one up and going, it would be nice to see another fastback at the Tulsa show. I was the only one there last year. You make me sound like a wuss because I haven't been driving mine as much because of the heat :roll: Anyway that would be a damn cool to have a fasty for his first car. Got mine when I turned 17. It's the only older car I've had that I'm not willing to part with. Make sure he sits it on the ground though :twisted:

blankmange Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:37 am

please, God, don't let this happen... we like the way our Type 3 forum is and Icy will only detract from this.....

Gary Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:57 am

blankmange wrote: please, God, don't let this happen... we like the way our Type 3 forum is and Icy will only detract from this.....

Take it like a man 8)

blankmange Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:23 am

Icy wrote: blankmange wrote: please, God, don't let this happen... we like the way our Type 3 forum is and Icy will only detract from this.....

Take it like a man 8)

seems like everyone shows up here at one point or another.... :)

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:41 am

Icy wrote: I live in the sticks, so I pull all the cool air I need in with fans.
Dammit Icy, that is straight-up hillbilly logic there. You know that it takes much more electricity to power 30 box fans in all your windows than to run the A/C. WHATCHU THINKIN'?

Russ Wolfe Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:38 pm

Yeah, but if you have your hampster running on the treadmill to power the fans, it is cheaper.

Gary Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:01 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Icy wrote: I live in the sticks, so I pull all the cool air I need in with fans.
Dammit Icy, that is straight-up hillbilly logic there. You know that it takes much more electricity to power 30 box fans in all your windows than to run the A/C. WHATCHU THINKIN'?

My electric bill was barely $45 last month. You do the math 8)

Russ Wolfe Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Icy wrote: Mr. Bubblehead wrote: Icy wrote: I live in the sticks, so I pull all the cool air I need in with fans.

My electric bill was barely $45 last month. You do the math 8)

Here is how he powers the fans.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/pee-powered_battery/

1970lowerd fastback Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:38 pm

ya fuel injections suck they don't last long so go with some dual weber carbs
your son will love a fasty and they go alot faster than a bus

krusher Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:35 am

1970lowerd fastback wrote: ya fuel injections suck they don't last long so go with some dual weber carbs
your son will love a fasty and they go alot faster than a bus

Son is new driver = Give him a realy slow car.

Put a stop under gas pedal so he can only get 3/4 throttle and not screw the engine :wink: