TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Installing back up lights on a Square
variant65 Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:40 pm

I have a 1967 Square and i want to connect the back up lights but im not sure what to connect wires to .Plus i need a license plate light clear lense for my 67.....
Can anyone help??

jimmynotch Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:47 pm

There are two ways to do it. First, if you have a '67, there should be a switch or a place to put one on the top of the tranny. This switch has two wires coming from it. One lead goes to the light(s) and the other lead connects to terminal #15 on your coil.

If you do not have a tranny set up for reverse lights, you can get a reverse switch that connects to the back of your speedo and when your car rolls backward the lights come on. I am not sure about exactly how to wire these up (I haven't installed mine yet) but it can't be that hard. I think ISP west carries them with installation instructions.

Russ Wolfe Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:12 pm

Wire from terminal 15 of the coil to a fuse holder. From the fuse holder to one of the terminal of the backup light switch on the left front of the nose cone on the tranny. From the other terminal of the switch you go to a "Y" connector above the front of the engine. From the "Y" connector, go to each of the backup lights.