TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Carb adjusments
Nevada Notch Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:01 am

Anyone experience this one? I just installed my newly rebuilt 1776 with a new pair of weber 34's. During acceleration the motor feels like it's hesitating. Once it is up to speed at a steady rpm it does'nt hesitate. Any idea's? Also I am feeling vibration throughout the whole car at about 1800 rpm like a miss. Carbs? Ignition? Timing?

Tram Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:55 am

I'd start by checking the basic settings- Point gap, timing, idle speed. Make sure no plugs are fouled, and that they are all firing. If all that checks out, grab a wrench and snug the carbs and manifolds. Then, try resynching the carbs. This could be EITHER an ignition, timing, or fuel issue. The clincher is that you MUST make sure that the ignition system is 100% correct before you move on to the fuel system. What sort of distributor are you running?

Russ Wolfe Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:07 pm

That hesitation is one of the symptoms of running and OH OH nine distributor.
If you are, try to get your hands an a stock T-3 FI distributor. They have one of the best mechanical advance curves you can find.

Tram Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: That hesitation is one of the symptoms of running and OH OH nine distributor.
If you are, try to get your hands an a stock T-3 FI distributor. They have one of the best mechanical advance curves you can find.

That's exactly what I was driving at. "Just advance that thur timing a bit, Cletus, an' she'll run jest fine!" She's not so fine, that 009. :lol:

Russ Wolfe Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:49 pm

Tram wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: That hesitation is one of the symptoms of running and OH OH nine distributor.

That's exactly what I was driving at. "Just advance that thur timing a bit, Cletus, an' she'll run jest fine!" She's not so fine, that 009. :lol:
Tram:
Did you see the scans I posted on my web site??
http://classicvw.org/gallery/IgnitionManual/ignition_system_manual_017
http://classicvw.org/gallery/IgnitionManual/ignition_system_manual_018

Tram Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:55 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Tram wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: That hesitation is one of the symptoms of running and OH OH nine distributor.

Tram:
Did you see the scans I posted on my web site??
http://classicvw.org/gallery/IgnitionManual/ignition_system_manual_017
http://classicvw.org/gallery/IgnitionManual/ignition_system_manual_018

There's lots of great stuff on your site. It's a real gem for the Type 3 community. Your persistance and dedication helps make this community great. I used to have copies of all that sort of stuff, service bulletins, customer satisfaction bulletins, specialty tools, and a couple official VAG analysers and adapters that I sold the FIRST time I got out of the auto service racket, back in 1979!! I wish I had all the stuff back, along with my Stahlwille and Hazet tools! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nevada Notch Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:48 pm

I,m running a 009 with a pertronix unit. What should my ignition be set at idle? The guy that built my motor said timimg should be 10 degrees BTDC (1776 with an Engle 110 cam). I have always heard you should set a 009 at full advance. I think it's 28 degrees. I could be wrong it's been a while. Where on the pulley would full advance be?

Nevada Notch Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:57 pm

Hey guys, I have a distributor in my stash it's a bosch 0231 129 019. Woulds that be any better than the old 009? If so what should I set the timing at? I don't have any type three stuff. I have only been playing on the type three "Dark Side" for just a couple of months!
PS, Loving every minute of it!