TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bleeding brakes- AAARGGHHHH!
az350x Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:58 am

So, I replaced my brakelight switch last night- a remarkably easy job, right? WRONG! I've been bleeding and bleeding and bleeding, and can't get my brakes any firmer than about 2/3 pedal travel (like 2/3 of the way to the floor!). They were MUCH firmer before I started. I'm bleeding at all 4 wheels, get no bubbles when I bleed. Should I be doing something different? I make sure the pedal is pushed to where they firm up before I crack a bleeder, and I get it closed before pedal runs out of travel. Parking brake is off. The only place air was introduced to the system is at the switch. Should I try and bleed at the switch?

What gives?

'65 model, BTW.

keifernet Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:03 am

I have changed plenty of switches and never had to bleed... however I have heard of some getting a bit of air in the master when doing so if they took to long to screw the new ones in and let too much fluid drain out.

First are you sure that your shoes are all adjusted up nicely?

You can try bleeding right at the line fittings on the master... tapping gently on the master with a ball peen hammer can also dislodge a pesky few air bubbles.