TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: When it rains, it pours.... Page: 1, 2  Next
ibjack Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:39 am

So last week my squareback breaks down with a yet to be diagnosed tranny problem. Now my '63 OG notch is giving me some problems. SO any suggestions would be helpful. The car idles well and then cuts out as the revs increase. I've checked the points, timing, cleaned out the passageways for the jets in the carb, check the function of the float valve and have played with the fuel/air ratio (now set as per the factory book). It appears to be getting enough fuel from the pump. The only suspicious item is that the inline fuel filter seems to be getting particles of dirt in it often, so I keep changing it out. Anything else to check?

krusher Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:00 am

Is there wear in the distributor shaft? and is the vacume advance working.

The factory position of the fuel air screw can often turn out to be way wrong on an older carb.

bobskulll Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:15 am

This happened to my fastback a couple months ago. After days of tuning, it ended up being a bad distributor. I didn't think to check it as it had only a few thousand miles on it. This definately sounds like an advance issue to me.

ibjack Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:03 am

I readjusted the idle air screw to factory specs. How can I really check the distributor, without just replacing it. Points are new and gap correct. I have always had some popping while driving the car and thought that it was just a exhaust leak but all parts of the exhaust are tight and not rusted. Sounds like you guys are right I will do checks on the dizzy tomorrow. Could I replace it with a good working unit form another year. The early large cap dizzys aren't easy to find.

Tram Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:06 am

ibjack wrote: I readjusted the idle air screw to factory specs. How can I really check the distributor, without just replacing it. Points are new and gap correct. I have always had some popping while driving the car and thought that it was just a exhaust leak but all parts of the exhaust are tight and not rusted. Sounds like you guys are right I will do checks on the dizzy tomorrow. Could I replace it with a good working unit form another year. The early large cap dizzys aren't easy to find.

Usually it's the breaker plate that goes wobbly (the plate that the points ride on). As far as I know, they're still available from Bosch. Or, just use the one from the car with the trans problem.

EverettB Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:31 pm

You can check the vacuum advance distributors by popping off the cap and sucking on the vacuum hose. It should advance and retract smoothly and if you hold it open with your mouth, it should stay open.

You could also run the car and check the timing setting with a timing light. If it's jumping around without reving the engine, there could be a distributor issue.

notchboy Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:43 pm

And if you do need to replace it, just about any dizzy will work for you. Make sure to block off the vacume on the carb if you use an 09.

Russ Wolfe Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:21 pm

notchboy wrote: And if you do need to replace it, just about any dizzy will work for you. Make sure to block off the vacume on the carb if you use an 09.

Did you say OH OH 9 :cry: :cry: :cry:
If you need a distributor for that '63, let me know, and I might find something. That should have the big Bosch.
Also, the ignition manual is on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/IgnitionManual
Check the resistor in the rotor, and check the dwell when you rev the engine. The dwell should not vary more than a couple degrees. also check the carbon brush in the center of the dist. cap.

notchboy Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:56 pm

Yeah, yeah. I was waiting for that. My intent was to get him by :wink: Jacks gona be the first person I know that will repair or get a new "correct" dizzy for his all stock 63. He needs reliable transportation till then and I figured any dizzy could get him to work for now. Hes gona need the fat 40 hp type R6 Bosch if anyone has an extra. The R5s are the ones I seem to see all the time.

Russ Wolfe Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:27 pm

I will have to check my "inventory" this weekend. And see what I have, and what will interchange.

ibjack Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 pm

Thanks for all the hints and tips. I will switch out the dizzy with the one from, my '65 square. Funny thing about the 009 is that I have two good German caps for a 009 on my table right now. Anybody need one???

hoss Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:14 am

Russ, if you can, keep an eye out for a couple of those distributors. I need one for my '63 T34. I'm having symptoms almost exactly like what Jack is going through. I was suspecting the carb until I read this thread. I know my car has the wrong distributor on it already... I will start troubleshooting tomorrow.

ibjack Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 am

Well I replaced the dizzy with a known working one from my'65. The car still has the same exact problem. Besides it being the carb/fuel system, the only other thing that has not been replaced are the plug wires. Would this make a difference. I feel that the problem is in the fuel system because it had been running fine until I started driving it for my daily driver.

krusher Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:58 am

So if it cuts out when moving from idle to the next jet I would check that thouse little ball valves arnt stuck in the carb.
I have cleaned carbs out only to find i did not realy get everything out and working. :?

ibjack Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:08 am

If you mean the float valve, I checked that and made sure that it is working well. I agree that there might be something that has gotten plugged or had failed in some way recentley. I'm willing to cheak anything at this point. Lst resort is to drop the engine to change the carb because I don't have one of the special wrenches to do it while the engine is installed. :(

ibjack Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 am

It seems that the carb is getting too much air or consequently not enough fuel. When transfering from idle to throttle, I closed the choke valve about 75% of the way and the transfer was much smoother. I'll just keep plugging away until I find the problem. :roll:

DMNCLNR Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:44 am

Hace you checked for any Vacuum leaks? Sounds like it has to be the carburator, either getting too much fuel, or not enough. If it gradually did this, another thing you could check was your valves. Keep tuning and troubleshooting everything. those sidedrafts can be tricky...

Ace Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:55 am

Uh, dirt particles in the fuel filter? Check the tank screen, if you are getting that much dirt in the filter, thats the dirt that made it though the screen. I had a problem like that once. THere was a rag in my gastank.

EverettB Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:27 pm

I think there is a strong possibility that your have dirt in one of the passages if you are seeing crap in the filter.

If there is crap in the bottom of the bowl too, I would clean out the entire carburetor.

notchboy Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:51 pm

Well? I know you been farting with it all day.....what did you find???