TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering Wheel Refinishing
Hans_Brinker Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:11 pm

I was reading an article on line by John Henry about refinishing a steering wheel. He claims that urethane paint is the best choice because of it's durability.

Does anyone know of a spray urethane product on the market that is close to the VW Ivory? I know Krylon makes an ivory paint product that is close to the original but it's not as durable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hans

Glenn Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:13 pm

John Henry is a member here and you can PM him.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6537

KantDriveFast Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:33 pm

Wolfsburg West sells all the different factory interior colors in spray can form. :wink:

Kubel Nick Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:04 pm

check your local paint supply store, alot of them can make custom mixed spray cans. But why not just use a traditional spray gun? Most store bought spray cans are enamel. Make sure you kow what kind of paint Wolfsburg West sells if you decide to buy from them

bill may Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:05 am

i bought a spray can of epoxy paint color almond at hardware store and it matched my wheel,column tube in my 57 beetle. i dont remember the brand tho'

itlives Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:04 am

The guy that recommened the urethane should have specified acrylic urethane.Acrylic urethane is the best bet for longevity. Only problem is, you can't get it in a spray can because it requires a hardner (which is what makes it a better paint). It is defenitly worth the extra bucks and trouble. Think about it being the most used part of your car and you will agree , better products better results.

sixfootdan Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:17 am

Is poly-urethane and urethane the same? I have poly spray at work and can find out the brand name for you?