TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: lopsided hood
novablue69 Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:10 pm

How does one adjust the alignment of the hood? I noticed my hood is a little higher on the left side than the right, causing a small gap between the weather seal. I loosened the bolts thinking I could press the hood down and tighten the seal. No luck. Any ideas.

KantDriveFast Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:40 pm

Make sure there isn't something in the trunk getting in the way of the hinge when it is down.

novablue69 Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:34 pm

Nothing in the trunk.
Now what?

KantDriveFast Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:12 pm

Looks like it was that way before you painted it?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=223399

Try this: Open the hood. Take a dollar bill and place it over the hood seal so its half in the hood, and half out. Close the hood. Start at the bottom, and slide the dollar upwards along the seal channel towards the top, and around to the emblem, till you find an obstruction. If there is nothing in the way...could just be a poor fitting repro hood, or hinges? :?

vdubdan Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:22 pm

Was the front end of your car ever involved in an accident? That can be a problem if it was not pulled back out correctly.

Dan
65 Ghia
67 Beetle
73 Beetle Vert (fronts crooked)

Major Woody Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:41 am

Most old hoods are tweaked. Grab it and reef on it until you have bent it back. Then realign the hinges and catch.

Has the car been hit in the front or in the quarter panel? This will also cause problems.

novablue69 Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Major Woody wrote: Most old hoods are tweaked. Grab it and reef on it until you have bent it back. Then realign the hinges and catch.

Has the car been hit in the front or in the quarter panel? This will also cause problems.
The car was hit on the passenger side behind the door. Everything is straight now and the hood looks straight. Yes, the misallignment was there before I had it painted, I just hadn't noticed it. Shiney paint makes you notice everything. The gap along the high side seems to be greater than on the other side. Will explore the "tweek" idea. I think the hood is the original, but I can't be sure.