TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help with unidentified squareback parts
iamacheetah Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:03 pm

Hey all-
New to the volkswagen game. I have been restoring bmw 2002's since I started driving 8 years ago. I am transplanting the engine and tranny and a few other goods from a 71 to a 72 shell. When pulling the rear drivers fender off of the 71, I found a metal box with 20+ white wires strung throughout the engine cabin. Is this part of the FI? The 72 shell has a real small metal box attached the the rear firewall behind the engine. Is this a samller version of the other box? help Please!
Thanks
David

blankmange Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:06 pm

iamacheetah wrote: Hey all-
New to the volkswagen game. I have been restoring bmw 2002's since I started driving 8 years ago. I am transplanting the engine and tranny and a few other goods from a 71 to a 72 shell. When pulling the rear drivers fender off of the 71, I found a metal box with 20+ white wires strung throughout the engine cabin. Is this part of the FI? The 72 shell has a real small metal box attached the the rear firewall behind the engine. Is this a samller version of the other box? help Please!
Thanks
David

that is the ECU or FI brain -- quick box it up and mail it to me... :)

Russ Wolfe Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:23 pm

And I will pay you for it if the harness is complete.
:D

Bobnotch Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:38 pm

Yup, that's it. Are you going to use it? Or are you asking if it can stay during the swap? :roll: