TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New (to me) 61 project
W1K1 Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:54 am

I have just aquired a 61' beetle. Not sure as to the condition of the pans, but the body is pretty nice, and pretty complete. Anyone have tips on inproving the suspension? We are used to driving a super beetle with all the suspension mods, so anything to improve cornering or ride would be good. We'll be running with a few more horses than the original 40 too.

74Standard Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:01 am

urethane bushings... new ones gotta be better than 40 year old rubber... also do a search, read an article somewhere about putting a sway bar on... good shocks, not $19 cheapos will ride better/last longer.

Alan Willis Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:58 pm

If you want to break parts on your car and have it ride like a skateboard use urethane,if not use rubber! Theres a reason NO automtive manufacturer uses urethane for suspension components. If you want to take corners better and handle more horsepower I'd suggest using drop spindeles up front,dropping the rear 1 spline,install a tranny mid-mount,and using either a kafer brace or a traction bar.

74Standard Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:55 am

Alan Willis wrote: If you want to break parts on your car and have it ride like a skateboard use urethane,if not use rubber! Theres a reason NO automtive manufacturer uses urethane for suspension components. If you want to take corners better and handle more horsepower I'd suggest using drop spindeles up front,dropping the rear 1 spline,install a tranny mid-mount,and using either a kafer brace or a traction bar.

Yup urethane is noisey, but break stuff? If it broke just because you put urethane bushings on, it was going to break anyway.

Car manufacturers don't use urethane because the tinny pieces of crap they put out now adays would be noisey as hell, and they are buying rubber bushings for a dime-a-dozen, urethane would cost them more... when was the last time you heard of a car manufacturer useing something that cost more in a car?

Rubber bushings will break down very fast when oil, grease, and road grime get on them, urethane bushings will resist this a lot longer.

Alan Willis Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:27 pm

First off,the rubber bushings in my car are 45 years old and,except for one motor mount,are holding up just fine! Second,ask ANYBODY who has installed urethane mounts for their tranny if they've ever broken their case or nosecone!

bill may Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:39 pm

do not use urethane anything in a street driven beetle. i have broken them . it will sqeek and drive you nuts. use good quality oem bushings and heavy duty(type II :D ) mounts and if higher horsepower use a mid mount on trans like bergs, and a rear traction bar with rubber puck ,like bergs.

cloval Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:19 pm

Yeah urethane is terrible!! I bought some urethane torsion bar bushing because I heard they were better. Get this, you have to grind them down a TON, not just a little, to make them fit.
Long story short, went down to the local vw shop, bought some bushings made by Wolfsburg West, and the car feels 100 times better. Hope I could help.

-Lawrence

KantDriveFast Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:41 pm

Quote: Rubber bushings will break down very fast when oil, grease, and road grime get on them, urethane bushings will resist this a lot longer.

Urethane has to be well lubricated always or it squeaks badly, gets brittle and cracks apart...after only a few years!....Thats why its not on new cars...its crap, and costs more than good ol' long lasting rubber.