TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: OEM paint colors
az350x Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:07 am

I did a search for this topic, but didn't find anything.

Is there anywhere on the net I can see all the OEM colors for a 1965 Bug?

oc63rag Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:11 am

Here you go:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/bug65.htm

glutamodo Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:21 am

A bit more haphazardly laid out than WW's site, but theSamba has a paint archive:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

andy

bill may Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:58 pm

www.autocolorlibrary.com click on european, then volkswagen then year you want then "view chips"

gerg Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:32 pm

What color you considering?

I am L360 on my '65 Sea Blue

glutamodo Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:52 pm

Bill, that's one site I'd not run across before, thanks for the link! it's going in the VW bookmark folder.

andy

az350x Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:56 pm

gblakeney wrote: What color you considering?

I am L360 on my '65 Sea Blue

I kind of like the Panama Beige or Bahama Blue...

I typically like things a little out of the ordinary- something you don't see every day. I've never priced paint before- OUCH. I'm not trying to resto the car, but figured since I have the opportunity to paint it inside and out, I'd go ahead and shoot it a correct color in case someone else down the road wanted to continue "correcting" the car.

I haven't shopped colors or anything yet, so I guess I'll wait and see. It's not like I'm going to pay $1,000 to have someone shoot it or anything. I am planning on painting it myself, with some "consulting"-type help from a few friends with experience... The goal of this project is to be able to drive the car as much of the time as possible, especially at $3.00+/gallon of gas...
The scenario is, my '65 hardtop that I bought needs LOTS of bodywork- more than I thought. I was planning on making it a learning experience, but then I found a '65 w/sunroof that is stripped down and ready for paint- completely stripped down. I was thinking of buying it, prepping/painting it, then cannibalizing my car to make it the driver. Interior, drivetrain, glass, etc. would all come from my car. I think this would minimize the time that I can't drive one or the other.

Sounds great on "paper", eh? :roll: