TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is this legal?? PDF Manuals?
QUADRADO Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:54 pm

Hey everybody I have scanned in a "very reputable" type 3 manual and turned it into PDF format.

So what you say?

This means that I can share this information with those of you that need help with your type-3.
I don't know if it's legal(copyright laws?) but if it is I can maybe help out by sending you the chapter or the specific pages that cover your problem.

I will let you and the Samba Gods decide if we can do this or not.

blankmange Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:06 pm

OSOFAST wrote: Hey everybody I have scanned in a "very reputable" type 3 manual and turned it into PDF format.

So what you say?

This means that I can share this information with those of you that need help with your type-3.
I don't know if it's legal(copyright laws?) but if it is I can maybe help out by sending you the chapter or the specific pages that cover your problem.

I will let you and the Samba Gods decide if we can do this or not.

unless you have specific, written permission from the publisher, it is not legal...

which manual is it? is it one the majority of us don't have?

Russ Wolfe Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:19 pm

If it is a manual that is no longer in print, then they can't say much. If it is still in print, then I would say that it is a no, no.
I have scanned a lot of my manuals, and VW documents, and have been told by reputable sources that As long as I don't try to sell it, I am OK, as long as they are not in print.

Mr. Bubblehead Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:40 pm

Fortunately my wife is employed at the administration building for a local bank here, and she has a high-speed document scanner at her disposal. It's real handy to have 5 different manuals in PDF format on the shop computer :wink:

It's probably not much of an issue as long as you do not sell or distribute the copies.

EverettB Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:41 pm

If it's the Bentley manual, it's copyrighted so that would be a problem.
Same with the "Haynes".

QUADRADO Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:42 pm

well guys it is one of the previously mentioned manuals and yes it is still in print, which means that I will have to keep it to myself because the last thing I would want to do is try to get Samba , myself or anyone else in trouble.

Thanks for the input.

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:03 am

Don't ask, don't tell. The less we know, the better.

attatt Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:35 pm

You can post it for sharing, you cannot post it as a means of making money or creating business for yourself.

Take napster for instance, they were trying to make money off the trading of music. Had this service been completely free with no money changing hands, it would have been completely legal.

notchback Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:53 pm

attatt wrote: You can post it for sharing, you cannot post it as a means of making money or creating business for yourself.

Take napster for instance, they were trying to make money off the trading of music. Had this service been completely free with no money changing hands, it would have been completely legal.

Better watch out what legal advice you are giving. Napster did NOT run into trouble because of charging anything. They did not charge anything when they started running into trouble. The problem was that they used their central server to hold the information. Products such as Limewire and Gluz are true peer to peer products with no central server. As far as posting it goes, I don't think you are right there either. Using your logic, I could post copies of movies to share with everyone else, as long as I'm not making money. I'm not sure what the copyright is for a corporation, but for an individual, it's the life of the individual PLUS 75 years. The best bet for not getting in trouble is to not share it.

EverettB Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:06 pm

attatt wrote: You can post it for sharing, you cannot post it as a means of making money or creating business for yourself.
No, if you post copyrighted material the owner can sue you for loss of income.

If I can read the manual online I don't have to buy it so the book company loses the money they would have made from the book sale.

attatt Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:01 pm

I dont know. I was listening to someone discuss this issue on a news sourc recently and why would it be illegal to share with friends when there is nothing to gain?

Cassette tapes and record albums were copied to cassette by the millions for years and there was no legal recourse for the record companies to stop it. Digital media became an issue because companies like Napster and Kazaa are trying to make money by having banner ads and selling user data to other companies.

Considering the limited number of people on this website compared to the number of users on Napster and the nature of the poster's intentions, I dont think there is anything illegal about posting that manual.

attatt Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:06 pm

A lot of VW manuals are out of print now as well. IS this particular one still in print? If not, no one can claim they are losing money due to the sharing of their property

flyingCoyote Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:31 am

OSOFAST wrote: Hey everybody I have scanned in a "very reputable" type 3 manual and turned it into PDF format.
The chances that someone will find out and hunt you down for sharing it with your friends are quite slim, but it IS a violation of copyright law, even if you don't do it for profit, even if it's out of print.

vtate Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:17 am

attatt wrote: I dont know. I was listening to someone discuss this issue on a news sourc recently and why would it be illegal to share with friends when there is nothing to gain?

Cassette tapes and record albums were copied to cassette by the millions for years and there was no legal recourse for the record companies to stop it. Digital media became an issue because companies like Napster and Kazaa are trying to make money by having banner ads and selling user data to other companies.

Considering the limited number of people on this website compared to the number of users on Napster and the nature of the poster's intentions, I dont think there is anything illegal about posting that manual.

once you buy copy written material, you have the right to make duplications as much as you want. you get into trouble when you sell those duplications.

also, any copy written material can be duplicated and shared as long as it is for "educational" purposses, it's one of the loop holes. we had a section on copy written material in one of my college music classes.

rusty57 Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:35 am

I copy magz and book articles for school all the time (and pay to do so), and don't get in trouble. Most of these articles are still in print. If you are not making any money and are helping someone out, it sucks that you can still get in trouble.

flyingCoyote Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:12 am

vtate wrote: once you buy copy written material, you have the right to make duplications as much as you want. you get into trouble when you sell those duplications.
Not really. Look at all the people getting busted for sharing their music. Heck, it's technically illegal even to back up a DVD that you own because this would require circumventing the copy protection, a violation of the DMCA.

I'm not saying the law is just - in recent years it's been twisted in favor of megacorps to the detriment of the populace and art in general.

vtate wrote: also, any copy written material can be duplicated and shared as long as it is for "educational" purposses, it's one of the loop holes. we had a section on copy written material in one of my college music classes.
The definition of "educational use" has some pretty tight constraints; even a school teacher cannot legally copy an entire book, or legally copy the same material for multiple courses or semesters.

vwfye Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:08 am

educational copying has a % limit. so no, you can not copy an entire book and hand it out.

Gary Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am

attatt wrote: I dont know. I was listening to someone discuss this issue on a news sourc recently and why would it be illegal to share with friends when there is nothing to gain?

If it's in the news media it *must* be true :roll: Stick to your day job, because the Law isn't your forte.