TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: sunroof "plumbing"
ddare Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:19 pm

So here are a couple pics of the electric sunroof frame that I welded into my roof:

and

I was wondering if any of you all had ideas as far as plumbing the drains on this bad boy. There are 4 drains, one on each corner. I am thinking about possibly blocking the rear ones and just using the front ones. However, I don't want to run the plumbing inside the arm or whatever that follows the windshield. This area already rusted out once, which is why you see that orange section welded in.

I've got a week or so to think about it, as I cut the tip of my left forefinger off grinding down a weld. Just an FYI, if you have a 4" angle grinder, don't take off the guard and put a 4 1/2" disc on it - it ain't worth it : )

Russ Wolfe Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:30 pm

The factory plumbing was inside the windshield posts. But, it was a plastic hose that went all the way down, and came out in front of the door post. The rear one went down the "B" pillar, and came out the rocker behind the rear edge of the door.
I would not eliminate any of the factory designed drains, unless you carry a towel in the car. Water seeks the lowest level, and unless you park car on perfectly flat ground everytime, you will have problems.

Anniehum Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:55 pm

Use all 4 drains. You will be very wet if you dont. I clean my drains every spring with compressed air. At one time there was a bit of a blockage. I reamed the tubes out using #9 line trimmer line. It worked very well in conjunction with the compressed air.
Cheers