TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lifted spindles Goto page 1, 2  Next
clayster89 Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 am

I wanna put '31 tires on my baja but i want alot of fender clearence so im looking for lifted spindles and i cannot find any does anybody know where to find at least '3 lifted spindles for a '74

thrown_hammer Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:25 am

Blind chicken racing sells them.

clayster89 Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:29 am

i found them on blind chicken racing they look good but is '3 lift to much for daily driving and occasional off roading and what would i need ball joint or kingpin for my '74

thrown_hammer Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:31 am

If no one has backdated the front end you would need ball joint.
I plan on getting the 2-1/2" raised spindles. Right now I am running 29" tall tires on the stock front end. They haven't rubbed yet but I haven't gone crazy off-road yet either. Mostly diving on trails and cow pastures so far.

vwclass11 Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:56 am

SoCal Imports has the 3 inch lift spidles w/disc brakes. I have not had a problem. I was running 30x9.5x15 on stock wheels, only rubbed the fender when braking, and rubbed the fender well when turning. Now have 7.00x15 still rub, but not as much. Keep in mind, if the tire is bigger than stock you will always rub. Later, Mitch.

CarKid1989 Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:28 pm

So can you use only lift spindles in front to lift a bug?

I was thinking of using a 2-2.5 inch lift spindles and a 3inch body lift (possibly) that would lift me to a total of 5ish inches. How would i lower the back? Is there an easy way like the front? Also any other sugesstions?

HamburgerBrad Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:06 pm

CarKid1989 wrote: So can you use only lift spindles in front to lift a bug?

I was thinking of using a 2-2.5 inch lift spindles and a 3inch body lift (possibly) that would lift me to a total of 5ish inches.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101670

CarKid1989 wrote: How would i lower the back? Is there an easy way like the front? Also any other sugesstions?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61284

clayster89 Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:44 pm

thrown_hammer wrote: If no one has backdated the front end you would need ball joint.
I plan on getting the 2-1/2" raised spindles. Right now I am running 29" tall tires on the stock front end. They haven't rubbed yet but I haven't gone crazy off-road yet either. Mostly diving on trails and cow pastures so far. what does backdated front end mean???

HamburgerBrad Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:02 pm

clayster89 wrote: thrown_hammer wrote: If no one has backdated the front end you would need ball joint.
I plan on getting the 2-1/2" raised spindles. Right now I am running 29" tall tires on the stock front end. They haven't rubbed yet but I haven't gone crazy off-road yet either. Mostly diving on trails and cow pastures so far. what does backdated front end mean???
installing an earlier link pin front beam on a car that was originally built with a balljoint beam

clayster89 Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:05 am

HamburgerBrad wrote: clayster89 wrote: thrown_hammer wrote: If no one has backdated the front end you would need ball joint.
installing an earlier link pin front beam on a car that was originally built with a balljoint beam I guess i will need a linkpin then thanks guys

vwclass11 Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:42 am

clayster89 wrote: I guess i will need a linkpin then thanks guys

Clayster, there is nothing wrong with a ball joint front end, A stock ball joint front end is a lot stronger than a stock link-pin front end. If your going to switch over just so you wont hit your fenders, guess what you will still hit your fenders no matter what type of suspension you have.

The only way you will not hit your fender is if you trim your fenders. Nothing wrong with a ball joint front end w/3 inch lift spindles :roll:

Baja Ben Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:42 am

Hey vwclass11. what is with the 4x4 decal :-k

vwclass11 Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Baja Ben wrote: Hey vwclass11. what is with the 4x4 decal :-k

Its a joke. Its been on there for about 8+ years. Makes all the 4x4 people mad when I go everywhere they go. What you cant see is the huge "Jesus Christ is Lord" sticker on the back window. Used to get me out of a lot of tickets :lol:

61deluxemicro Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:50 pm

I want to put 3" lift spindles on my 1969 Baja. The Blind Chicken spindles look alright but do you think they are strong enough? All they do is take two sets, shave the sides, and weld them together just higher up.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/Lifted_Spindles/Raisedspindles.htm

BobDog Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:45 am

Call Nate at Wagenswest !!! He makes raised and lowered spindles. Great guy.....Master Craftsman !!!

INSAYN_BCR Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:59 am

61deluxemicro wrote: I want to put 3" lift spindles on my 1969 Baja. The Blind Chicken spindles look alright but do you think they are strong enough? All they do is take two sets, shave the sides, and weld them together just higher up.

The ones you see on that page, are the ones I made for my baja. They have taken a serious amount of abuse in the 3 years I have had them mounted. I have tried to bend them, but they just won't budge.

INSAYN™

bajaherbie Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:39 am

INSAYN_BCR wrote: 61deluxemicro wrote: I want to put 3" lift spindles on my 1969 Baja. The Blind Chicken spindles look alright but do you think they are strong enough? All they do is take two sets, shave the sides, and weld them together just higher up.

The ones you see on that page, are the ones I made for my baja. They have taken a serious amount of abuse in the 3 years I have had them mounted. I have tried to bend them, but they just won't budge.

INSAYN™

official test vehicle of BCR? i thought the site says the 3" are for mild use? i was thinking of the 2.5" lifted spindles for my ride.....

INSAYN_BCR Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:56 pm

bajaherbie wrote: INSAYN_BCR wrote: 61deluxemicro wrote: I want to put 3" lift spindles on my 1969 Baja. The Blind Chicken spindles look alright but do you think they are strong enough? All they do is take two sets, shave the sides, and weld them together just higher up.

INSAYN™

official test vehicle of BCR? i thought the site says the 3" are for mild use? i was thinking of the 2.5" lifted spindles for my ride.....

3" spindles would be better suited for mild use, your right. I guess I did not specify which set I had on my car. Mine are the 2.25" lifted set pictured on the webpage above.

I would not venture to say my car is the official test vehicle, as these were built by me for my use. The ugly black baja is more of the test goat for alot of the stuff BCR makes and sells. :lol:

INSAYN™

sammyphsyco Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:46 pm

vwclass11 wrote: clayster89 wrote: I guess i will need a linkpin then thanks guys
:roll:

BADASS How much ground clearance do you have .. That bug makes my STICKER PECKOUT

Edit where does the front rub ?at the bottom of the fender?

65BAJA Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:04 pm

vwclass11 wrote:

Is that thing front wheel drive or something? What's with the traction tires on the front and the slicks on the rear?