TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: one of those "what is it worth" posts
timmaah Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:57 pm

New to the Type 3 world, but have owned quite a few VWs over the years and currently own a 66 bus. I have a line on what looks to be a pretty low mileage clean 64 Notchback S, although it supposedly needs engine work and the interior looks a little ratty. After checking the prices here on the samba, I'm not sure where the asking price of $2000 falls... While the body looks good, the engine and interior look like they should bring the price down a bit ??

Going by information I have gotten but have not confirmed.
68,000 orig miles (I don't believe this)
No rust except in battery area. (its in the northeast where no rust is rare)
Orig paint with some "professional" touch up
engine "makes a noise" and needs to be "overhauled"

Anyways... does $2000 seem like a decent price for this vehicle ? (more pics should be on the way, and its local so I'm hoping to check it out sometime soon)

Thanks..

-tim

EverettB Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:01 pm

$2000 sounds ok to me if it's not too rusty.

Wasn't that car just on eBay?

timmaah Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:08 pm

EverettB wrote: Wasn't that car just on eBay?

shhh... yes it was. With a buy it now of $5500 and the ending price not hitting the reserve. I guess the owners sobered up a bit.

also means I probably can't haggle the price down too much lower if any at all..

EverettB Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:11 pm

I'd go check it out asap.

I think I may even have bid $2000 on eBay. :)

Tram Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:13 pm

If it's not too rusty, definitely worth it.

hoss Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:35 pm

$2K seems like a very fair price. Looks to be a twin of my late '64 notch.. L87 with cord red interior... although the red upholstery on those seats doesn't look like the correct pattern. If you pick it up you wanna sell those door panels? :)

ibjack Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:15 pm

Jacin, come on man. Are you trying to gather all the red door panels and hord them like NB does with the early stuff. :shock:

hoss Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:03 am

lol.. i'm still trying to collect one good set for my car! the ones i got from NB are a bit crusty and the upholstery guy i took them too said they couldn't be used. bah.

timmaah Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:29 am

I guess this is a new type of scam attempt via Ebay...

It seems the guy emailing me was not the one selling the vehicle. I'm now in contact with the real owners, but it doesn't seem they are going to come down from their "high" price...

WVtoH Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:45 am

Gee, I thought that was odd because they told us they wanted $3000 for it. I figured they were just trying to get more from us because we're from California. You know, we're all rich out here and all :lol: If it wouldn't cost us $1200 to get it shipped here I would be very tempted. I think I'll keep looking for a car less 'Geographically Undesirable'.
In the pics they sent us it looks pretty original except for the seat covers and carpeting. By the looks of the headliner it appears that one of the PO's was a smoker though, it has that staining by the driver window. It might be a good deal for someone back east where they could check it out before putting their money down and not have to pay transport fees.

P.S....Everett, you bid $1500 :)

Quote: Anyways... does $2000 seem like a decent price for this vehicle ? (more pics should be on the way, and its local so I'm hoping to check it out sometime soon)

timmaah Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:37 pm

WVtoH wrote: Gee, I thought that was odd because they told us they wanted $3000 for it. I figured they were just trying to get more from us because we're from California. You know, we're all rich out here and all :lol: If it wouldn't cost us $1200 to get it shipped here I would be very tempted. I think I'll keep looking for a car less 'Geographically Undesirable'.
In the pics they sent us it looks pretty original except for the seat covers and carpeting. By the looks of the headliner it appears that one of the PO's was a smoker though, it has that staining by the driver window. It might be a good deal for someone back east where they could check it out before putting their money down and not have to pay transport fees.

P.S....Everett, you bid $1500 :)

Quote: Anyways... does $2000 seem like a decent price for this vehicle ? (more pics should be on the way, and its local so I'm hoping to check it out sometime soon)

Yeah at the moment.. $2000 I could do... but $3000 for a car that needs engine work is a bit too much for me at this point..

I drive through the town thats its located in daily... so if someone does need me to check it out.. I could...

jaybe_2 Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:20 pm

I'm looking for a notch near NH. Is this car in VT? What town?

WVtoH Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:27 pm

I believe the car is in Underhill Vermont. That's what the ebay auction said. Good luck!

timmaah Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:27 pm

WVtoH wrote: I believe the car is in Underhill Vermont. That's what the ebay auction said. Good luck!

Correct... about 20-30 mins outside Burlington Vermont

EverettB Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:17 pm

WVtoH wrote: P.S....Everett, you bid $1500 :)
I must have felt cheap or got scared it would be $1500 shipping

WVtoH Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:23 pm

Cheap is such a harsh word....let's just say 'thrifty' :D And as it turns out, the $1500 shipping guesstimate was probably pretty close.

Quote: I must have felt cheap or got scared it would be $1500 shipping