TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Just purchased a 69 Notch & have a few questions PICS
brian ball Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Well this is my first time here, but here it goes. I just purchased a 69 Notch and its fuel inj. and has an Automatic trans.. Brings me to my first question, do I keep it this way or change it to another pan (I have a manual pan)? The wiring and everything looks intact, but have yet tried to even start it. The pans are a bit rusty, but nothing to bad. Also I have some rust in the front inner fender wells and its started to eat up the trunk floor. I have another front clip, were should I cut to graft it in or should I just drill the spot welds out on the fender wells and transfer those?? Any help would be great thanks

M113 Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:58 pm

I would keep it original. Not a whole lot of late notchbacks out there. A lot of people really like fuel injection, and maybe even an auto. As far as the rust, it would be best if you post some pics so we can see what you are talking about. Often it comes down to how bad the rust is and the amount of sheetmetal on your doner piece. I prefer to drill out the spots, and use a complete piece, but that does not always work out to be the easiest!

Joe

Tram Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm

Keep it as original as possible. Fuel injection and automatics are great. One of my dream buckets is a 1969 PeruGrun Sunroof Notch with FI, auto, and A/C.
My wife tells me I'd best finish the Type 34 Cabrio project, though....
and yes, I already have a fuel injected engine ready to go in. :twisted:

Russ Wolfe Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:55 pm

My 71 fastback automatic has about 200K miles on the tranny. Change the fluid and clean the filter every 30K miles and it will last a long time.