TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front end suspension Question
15 windowdelux Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:33 pm

I have a 68 bug running a custom small block chevy motor in the front end. The guy that built it used a pre 67 beam out of a type 3. I was told it would probably deal with the added weight of the motor better. I had it alligned recently and new inner and outer tie rods installed. The mechanic said that everything lined up right but he did notice that steering had a tendancy to pull really hard to the right in a turn. I have noticed this also. I believe there is a steering dampner on the car. If it is worn out would this cause the overly quick tendency to turn right? Yeah I know the car's a blasphemy to the purists. I didn't build it. I just bought it and drive it.

Tram Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:50 pm

15 windowdelux wrote: I have a 68 bug running a custom small block chevy motor in the front end. The guy that built it used a pre 67 beam out of a type 3. I was told it would probably deal with the added weight of the motor better. I had it alligned recently and new inner and outer tie rods installed. The mechanic said that everything lined up right but he did notice that steering had a tendancy to pull really hard to the right in a turn. I have noticed this also. I believe there is a steering dampner on the car. If it is worn out would this cause the overly quick tendency to turn right? Yeah I know the car's a blasphemy to the purists. I didn't build it. I just bought it and drive it.

Sounds possibly like what we used to call "radial tire pull". Try switching the front tires right to left. If it pulls the OTHER way, or stops pulling, it's a tire issue.
If it still pulls the same way, try the rears.
If it STILL pulls the same way, it could be a brake issue.
That'd be where I would start.... purist or not! :lol: