TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: paint on brake components
ddare Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Hi, just wondering which of the brake components need painted, and if so, any special kinds of paint to use. My whole undercarriage painted black over a few decades of road gunk, so that doesn't give me much to work with in the way of how things should look. I'm not looking for special paint codes or anything, just an idea of how it should look...

I'm already overbudget on paint/body stuff on this project, so if you guys know of any short cuts (like a good rattle can paint) to take I'm all ears at this point.

Splash shield - I know this is painted
Caliper - ??
Spindle - ??
Steering knuckle - ??
Disc brake hub - ??

thanks,
Doug

Miguel Arroyo Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:23 pm

Some of the parts will get hot (brake components) so if you decide to paint them get the heat resitant paint used on engine blocks. These come in rattle cans. Personally I would paint them black because I do not want to call attention to them.

Jowlz Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:35 pm

Or you can use brake paint. The engine paint will work but the brake paint looks better. You can buy it at your local Tuner shop or pep boys etc.

Campy Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:49 am

I've had good luck spraying Plasti-kote 500 degree paint on things such as cooling tin, brake plates, and even a whole bus frontend. No primer is needed and it sticks to metal really well.

off2wildblue Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 am

Do you need to spend more on caliper paint or does the stuff in the local Advance Auto Parts store work just as well?

I have new calipers that I bought from CIP1 and they have a gold coating on them. Do you paint over this? Also, POR15 has a kit that says to put POR15 on the calipers then their paint.

So I guess the question is should I put the POR15 I have on, then put the local auto parts paint on top (within the window)? If this is the case can I POR over the gold stuff.

Simple thing to paint calipers but for some reason I seam to overly think all this stuff.

SAM

Dogo Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 am

I'm installing disc brakes on the rear of my bay, I've seen people paint the outside of the hats of the rotor (rattle can). The wheel pads make direct contact with the top of the hat... I've heard some bad stories with painted (powder coated) wheels coming loose when the powder coat wasn't stripped/ground off the lugnut seat on the rim. Could the same theory apply if painting the top of the rotor hat or is powder coat a different animal?
Thx

raygreenwood Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:59 pm

The best paint so far I have found for rotors is VHT brand rattle can high temp engine metallic....about 550F.....or VHT caliper paint....about 900F but in limited colors.

You strip your parts completely. No primer. Then use 3M blue tape to carefully mask the disc area....or use frog tape...either one. Then screw some lug bolts in to keep paint out of the threads. Use tape and an exacto knife to mask the bearing openeings at either end. Set up some 4" × 4" wood blocks to set each rotor on resting against the bearing boss so you can turn these as you paint them.
Follow the can directions to the letter. Put on a thin coat....then wait x time.....not more than about 30 minutes if memory serves....then put on a solid coat.
let dry and then flip it and do the other side.

These paints need to be cured at about 200f for an hour. It is not a problem doing them in your normal oven. It smells just a little but leaves no residue or lasting smell. Just make sure it dries for about 48 hours total before you bake them.

Yes....you can just wait and let them bake as they produce heat during usage....but they are much more prone to scratching until you bake them.

I can post some pictures in the am. Ray