TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stereo? Page: 1, 2  Next
gorblob Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Hey everyone I've been lovin driving around in my new '72 Squareback but am starting to get really tired of the whole no stereo situation. Can you all give me some tips on how best to install one. I've seen pictures of a aftermarket mount that goes below the ashtray and I've also seen that JC Whitney offers a glovebox insert. Can you all tell me what your experiences are with these, and where you can get one of these aftermarket pieces to mount under the ashtray. Also I was wondering what some options would be for mounting speakers, or do I just have to cut the doors and door panels. Thanks for all your help.

nik Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:25 pm

You can fabricate your own glove box insert for your stereo. Thats where mine is located. I think its better to have it in there that way people are less likely to take notice of a system in your car. You cold think about just getting some 6x9 or something along those lines. Have them mounted in their own little boxs and you could put them behind the back seat. http://www.vwinnovations.com/ has a rear hatch speaker panel and also front kick panels. Not quite sure about how they fit. Hope this helps some.
nik

buzzbox Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:44 am

I went for six months with no stereo!
I chose to keep it retro but not stock (too expensive in oz!)
Went to the nearest u-pull-it, where they sell any radio you can find for $10 and found a nice old radio cassette player that matched the decor (replaced the belts with generic from electronics store ,$10).
Made a simple metal mount (vice, drill and hacksaw) and it went nicely undere the dash.
For speakers I recommend those detachable speakerboxes off old ghettoblasters. They're usually 4ohms and will run as is, but i replaced the cones with some reasonable 2-ways from a car hi-fi shop ($17), glued foam inside to tighten up the bottom end and they sound great!
Mount them any way you want..i used fish-hooks cos my carpet is screwed anyway, thanks to P.O.
Also, there's these great little mp3 players that fit into a cigarette lighter socket, accept memory sticks and transmit fm, so you can just tune in your radio for all your music!
No need to hide a 'worthless' radio-cassette player, and the mp3 transmitter pulls out (no wires) and goes in the pocket or glovebox.
Soon as i put in a cigarette lighter socket I'm gettin' one :?

blankmange Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:45 am

along the lines of what buzzbox is saying: simply put in an old Saphire AM/FM receiver in your dash, right where the original radio was, a couple of 4" speakers in kick panels under the dash, a couple of 6x9's in the back ( the one piece hinge cover would be perfect for that ) and an iPod with an FM transmitter... no muss, no fuss and you take the expensive piece with you... or and old AM/FM cassette player and a cassette adapter for the iPod...

either way, the biggest bucks you are out is for the iPod and it is more that just your tunes anyway....

Russ Wolfe Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:52 am

Or, you can go like this. Just 2 wires for power, and when you leave the car, lay it down on its face, and anybody walking by the car just thinks it is a suitcase.

Regis Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:20 pm

I Fabricated my own cradle to hold a head unit. Fit it right under the dash where the old radio mount is. Didn't even had to drill holes in the dash. I found this was easier and more accessible than in the glove box. Only problem is more open to someone stealing it.

But my stereo isn't anything special paid 70 dollars for 4 blaupunkt speakers and had the headunit from another car, sounds pretty good though.

If you really cram em' in you can hide two 3 and 1/2 inch speakers under the dash right in the middle. 8)

Russ Wolfe Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:40 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Or, you can go like this. Just 2 wires for power, and when you leave the car, lay it down on its face, and anybody walking by the car just thinks it is a suitcase.
Damn it,forgot the link.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5222

brntrtt5 Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:33 pm

customautosound.com they have some killer ideas speakers that hide under seats remote mounted stereos with rf remote control
its not cheap but its badass

Crippler Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:13 pm

blankmange wrote: along the lines of what buzzbox is saying: simply put in an old Saphire AM/FM receiver in your dash, right where the original radio was, a couple of 4" speakers in kick panels under the dash, a couple of 6x9's in the back ( the one piece hinge cover would be perfect for that ) and an iPod with an FM transmitter... no muss, no fuss and you take the expensive piece with you... or and old AM/FM cassette player and a cassette adapter for the iPod...

either way, the biggest bucks you are out is for the iPod and it is more that just your tunes anyway....

i wanna do something similar to this idea. i want a decent deck, two speakers up front, two in the rear. and probably my mp3 player. (although i have an OK kenwood cd player in the garage somewhere that i may use)

my question is. do i connect it direct to the battery? how about this alternator mod? is that necessary? if not, what are the benefits?

thanks.

Erik G Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:54 pm

for those that will only be listening to MP3 player or cd and never listen to the radio, bypass the deck, dont even install one. RF's (wireless conector to run through your FM) suck. The static kills me. Once, in a bug, I bought a small cheap 2-chanel amp, and a passive 3 way crossover, I hid the amp under the seat, a small subwoofer under the back seat oppisite the battery with a switch to the amp remote turn on wire, and two speakers in the kick panels. I then used a raidoshack type connector to plug my portable cd player into the RCA jacks on the amp. when I parked I'd throw the cd player under the seat. completely un-detectable and sounds way better than a deck, if you are only listening to cd's and MP3's, all that deck is doing is acting like an amp (and a weak one at that, almost all are under 12watts a chanel regardless of what the maker claims) Save money, have better sound, without cutting up your dash and keeping your glovebox clean and usable. I paid under $150 for eveything, which could buy you a shitty deck instead ;p

nik Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:12 pm

Erik G wrote: for those that will only be listening to MP3 player or cd and never listen to the radio, bypass the deck, dont even install one. RF's (wireless conector to run through your FM) suck. The static kills me. Once, in a bug, I bought a small cheap 2-chanel amp, and a passive 3 way crossover, I hid the amp under the seat, a small subwoofer under the back seat oppisite the battery with a switch to the amp remote turn on wire, and two speakers in the kick panels. I then used a raidoshack type connector to plug my portable cd player into the RCA jacks on the amp. when I parked I'd throw the cd player under the seat. completely un-detectable and sounds way better than a deck, if you are only listening to cd's and MP3's, all that deck is doing is acting like an amp (and a weak one at that, almost all are under 12watts a chanel regardless of what the maker claims) Save money, have better sound, without cutting up your dash and keeping your glovebox clean and usable. I paid under $150 for eveything, which could buy you a shitty deck instead ;p

Thats a good idea.
I don't use my glove box, i have an underdash parcel tray. I just put stuff i have on there. Then the registration in the side pocket of the door. Works out fairly well.
nik

buzzbox Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:31 am

Quote: do i connect it direct to the battery?
I used the lug on the fusebox dedicated to the radio.
You might end up with 2 fuses...there may be an inline fuse on the positive wire of whatever radio/amp etc. unit you install, and there's the one on the fusebox, of course..but as long as they're the correct rating it's a moot point.
This works fine for me and in mine it's 'always on' (regardless of ignition key position), this may or may not be standard?
Which is the same as having a wire run all the way back to your battery terminal.
So unless you want to run the kind of system which can rattle the windows with sub everytime you're passing somebody you'd like to impress, just go to the fusebox.
Of course, if your amp is closer to the battery than the fusebox, it would make sense to go there :) [/quote]

philman Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:57 am

Quote: do i connect it direct to the battery?

I ran the stock power line from the fusebox to the on/off switch on the amp, but connected the main power straight to the battery. This way, the amp shuts off with the key; I put an in line fuse right off the battery for access.

When I got the car it had some kick panels up front installed for 6 1/2 speakers, which right now are the only speakers. The head unit is an old am/fm/tape player unit I have been using for about 20 years. It is old and crusty, but plays tapes and gets the radio in fine. I mounted it under the dash in the stock box that was there. It did not fit very well, but I stuffed some extra rubber seal material to hold it in place and so far so good.

I have the speakers connected directly to my amp, which is under the passenger seat.

Originally, I had the head hooked up to the fusebox, but I had a problem with whine-- noise that increased with the rpms. My bug had the same issue. To solve this, I installed a noise filter radioshack on the main power line off the battery to the amp (under the passenger seat as well). Because I still had some whine, I ended up connecting the head unit to the power line off the battery as well. That solved the problem.

What you see in my ride is basically the ancient head unit and the speakers up front, but nothing very special.

I have been trying to think of a good way to mount some speakers in the back somewhere where they will not stand out. In my bug I built a speaker box for behind the back seat for some 12" subs, but I cannot figure out a way to put them in my square without them standing out like crazy. If I do decide to put them in, along with a few more amps, I will probably go to the ddb to get a more powerful generator, especially as the car has FI.

good luck 8)

Crippler Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:32 am

Erik G wrote: for those that will only be listening to MP3 player or cd and never listen to the radio, bypass the deck, dont even install one. RF's (wireless conector to run through your FM) suck. The static kills me. Once, in a bug, I bought a small cheap 2-chanel amp, and a passive 3 way crossover, I hid the amp under the seat, a small subwoofer under the back seat oppisite the battery with a switch to the amp remote turn on wire, and two speakers in the kick panels. I then used a raidoshack type connector to plug my portable cd player into the RCA jacks on the amp. when I parked I'd throw the cd player under the seat. completely un-detectable and sounds way better than a deck, if you are only listening to cd's and MP3's, all that deck is doing is acting like an amp (and a weak one at that, almost all are under 12watts a chanel regardless of what the maker claims) Save money, have better sound, without cutting up your dash and keeping your glovebox clean and usable. I paid under $150 for eveything, which could buy you a shitty deck instead ;p

what kind of amp should i get if i am going this route? i just want like 2 speakers up front, two in the back, and maybe a 10in subwoofer in the future... i want to use an ipod or something like that.

i dont know about stereos and watts and all that. how many watts would be sufficient?

brntrtt5 Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:55 am

I would find a small 4 channel amp to run your 4 speakers the find a 1 channel when you add your sub Sony or Pioneer make several affordble
amps. I would recomend between 25-50 watts per channel. then use
a moderate priced COAXIAL speaker. All of this stuff is probably cheapest at your local WalMart or circuit city. You will also find installation kits for the amplifiers too. Make sure you use a kit for your
power rating.

x43x Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:39 pm

blankmange wrote: a couple of 4" speakers in kick panels under the dash, a couple of 6x9's in the back ( the one piece hinge cover would be perfect for that )

I just got finished installing this set-up in my square. I purchased the fiberglass kick panels and one-piece hinge cover from Glass Action. I was able to fit 6 1/2" speakers in the front and 4's in the one piece hinge cover. The hinge cover was a bitch because I didnt account for the metal rods that go between the hinges when I cut the holes out. I had to use some zip-ties to pull the rods away from the holes a bit, then push the magnet of the speaker passed them. I don't think you would be able to fit 6x9's back there, but maybe in the front. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow.

x43x Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:40 pm

blankmange wrote: a couple of 4" speakers in kick panels under the dash, a couple of 6x9's in the back ( the one piece hinge cover would be perfect for that )

I just finished installing this set-up in my square. I purchased the fiberglass kick panels and one-piece hinge cover from Glass Action. I was able to fit 6 1/2" speakers in the front and 4's in the one piece hinge cover. The hinge cover was a bitch because I didnt account for the metal rods that go between the hinges when I cut the holes out. I had to use some zip-ties to pull the rods away from the holes a bit, then push the magnet of the speaker passed them. I don't think you would be able to fit 6x9's back there, but maybe in the front. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow.

Crippler Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:13 pm

[email protected] wrote: blankmange wrote: a couple of 4" speakers in kick panels under the dash, a couple of 6x9's in the back ( the one piece hinge cover would be perfect for that )

I just finished installing this set-up in my square. I purchased the fiberglass kick panels and one-piece hinge cover from Glass Action. I was able to fit 6 1/2" speakers in the front and 4's in the one piece hinge cover. The hinge cover was a bitch because I didnt account for the metal rods that go between the hinges when I cut the holes out. I had to use some zip-ties to pull the rods away from the holes a bit, then push the magnet of the speaker passed them. I don't think you would be able to fit 6x9's back there, but maybe in the front. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow.

sweet. yeah 6x9 is too big for the back. whatever fits tho. maybe 4s or 4x6. whatever

i definately wanna see how it looks mounted with speakers... i'm thinking of just having my OLD laptop as an mp3 player. lol.

edit: WOW your project is SICK. your air filter is intense... i wish i had the resources for a project like that. good job!

x43x Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:36 pm

Here they be. The hinge cover came in black, but I had it upholstered with the same material as the headliner so it would look pretty.

One of the stereo

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:51 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Or, you can go like this. Just 2 wires for power, and when you leave the car, lay it down on its face, and anybody walking by the car just thinks it is a suitcase.
Damn it,forgot the link.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5222
Russ that is an awesome idea. I am getting tired of the 3 talk radio stations I get on my stock AM Sapphire, I may go down to the local thrift shop and pick up a suitcase like that. One could probably fit a small amp and CD changer in something like that.