TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking at a squareback
pr!mosquare Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:38 pm

I'm thinking of a squareback for my son's first car. We've been looking for a year or so and found a 71 for sale. I've done some reading on here, and found tons of info....almost too much!

Just curious what your thoughts are on the square as a first car. I'd like something he can hang on to forever. I still have my high school car (69 Mach 1; I've had a bug in the past, and grew up around vw-powered dune buggies.). My son loves Nomads...and hey isn't a squareback a nomad too?!

Anyway, I'd love to get some advice on the car, what to look for, etc. Car is in the SW, looks to be rust free, but has been repainted. PO glued insulation to the pans, and I didn't want to rip it up to look for rust until I get a bit more serious, but looks clean. FI is gone...replaced with a carb and box in the access door. Interior is unbelievable --- PO redid it in ----- are you ready? ----- DENIM. With southwest pattern inserts. Once I figure out how to post a pic, I will. Not my first choice, but my son doesn't care....says it gives it character. Actually he said "that's tight". Which I think means "I don't really care, I just want the car".

Great site, by the way.

FASTBACKDON Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:46 pm

where in the southwest are you or the car? How much is it? is it complete?
and most of all running?

pr!mosquare Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:58 pm

Its in the Land of Enchanment, NM. Running and complete. Was the guys daily driver until he got something else a few months ago. My pops checked it out for me today and emailed pics. Said it started right up. Shift linkage felt sloppy, but otherwise looked solid and sounded solid.

pr!mosquare Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:01 pm

Oops forgot to add:

I'm in KS. He's asking $2500 for the car.

Tram Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:36 pm

pr!mosquare wrote: I'm thinking of a squareback for my son's first car. We've been looking for a year or so and found a 71 for sale. I've done some reading on here, and found tons of info....almost too much!

Just curious what your thoughts are on the square as a first car. I'd like something he can hang on to forever. I still have my high school car (69 Mach 1; I've had a bug in the past, and grew up around vw-powered dune buggies.). My son loves Nomads...and hey isn't a squareback a nomad too?!

Anyway, I'd love to get some advice on the car, what to look for, etc. Car is in the SW, looks to be rust free, but has been repainted. PO glued insulation to the pans, and I didn't want to rip it up to look for rust until I get a bit more serious, but looks clean. FI is gone...replaced with a carb and box in the access door. Interior is unbelievable --- PO redid it in ----- are you ready? ----- DENIM. With southwest pattern inserts. Once I figure out how to post a pic, I will. Not my first choice, but my son doesn't care....says it gives it character. Actually he said "that's tight". Which I think means "I don't really care, I just want the car".

Great site, by the way.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but that would be the kiss of death for me right there. Plan on either replacing the FI or, at the very least, getting rid of that God- awful Weber Progressive and going with stock dual Solexes. Those Progressives are utter and complete crap.
I'm not just saying that to be mean, either. :wink:

pr!mosquare Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:52 pm

Quote:
Sorry to be a party pooper, but that would be the kiss of death for me right there. Plan on either replacing the FI or, at the very least, getting rid of that God- awful Weber Progressive and going with stock dual Solexes. Those Progressives are utter and complete crap.

What's it cost to go back to the FI? Are you saying the car can't be worth $2500 or so without the FI or duals? It might be a good reason for my son and I to spend a weekend in the garage together :D [/quote]

Tram Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:46 pm

pr!mosquare wrote: Quote:

What's it cost to go back to the FI? Are you saying the car can't be worth $2500 or so without the FI or duals? It might be a good reason for my son and I to spend a weekend in the garage together :D [/quote]

Your best bet is to look around on here for a complete FI or dual- carb setup. If you're going to go back to FI, we'll need to walk you through seeing what is still with the car, and what isn't. Ask the seller if he still has the FI. If he does, you're set. If he doesn't, and you want to go dual carb, you'll need dual port manifolds, two carbs, ALL the linkage, and an air cleaner. Oh, and get an engine lid while you're at it. That stupid hump defeats the whole practical purpose of having a Squareback.... hauling space!
I'm not saying that the car can't be worth $2500 to you without the FI, but I wouldn't touch it for any more than about $1500, no matter HOW nice the rest of it is. But then, that's just me! If you truly feel that the car is worth $2500 as it sits, then get it, but plan on spending the bread to do it up right. :wink:
If you wind up going back to the original FI, you'll be amazed at the huge improvement in startability, accelleration, and MPG.

notchboy Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:33 am

Look at the adds here in the classifieds. They may be a bit out of your way to get but the trip should be worth it.

brntrtt5 Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:58 am

Keep looking I just got a clean 69 with no rust IN FLORIDA for 1500
the FI was incomplete but still a good price

Locknar Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:01 pm

I think that a type 3 would be a great fist car. He can learn to drive well without all the distraction of break-neck speed. I had a 71 Camaro in high school and it amazes me that I survived all the mishaps. I kept that car for about 15 years before i finally let it go. Your first car, if it actually survives your formative years is one that is hard to let go.

pr!mosquare Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info. Test drive hopefully this week.

spoon Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:34 am

My little brother wants my car as his first car. Alot of people at his high school laugh when I drop him off... but it's kinda cool that he doesn't seem to care.

pr!mosquare Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Laughter is a good thing. I'm glad it makes them happy!

FASTBACKDON Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:53 pm

I laugh at ricers not the og vw's kids now a days only know new cars my neice wants my car thinks it is the coolest thing she ever seen
so the kids laughing are jealous I pull up to a vw of any type wave have respect how many ricers do that ?
get the square you and your son will love the car the old technology(spell check) the brotherhood of vw people is deep JMHO Don

spoon Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 pm

Oh, and let your boy lower the car as low as he wants. I also think it's cool when all the people in their disposable cars stare and give me a thumbs up.

Justin :P

Crippler Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:11 am

just keep shopping. i got my Square when i was...16. (i'm now 22) my dad surprised me and bought it. (i was drooling over it for like 2 years, it was just sitting in front of someones house)

it was solid, no rust. good FI engine. decent interior. decent paint. smelled funny...mmmm memories

anyways. he spent $1500 and it was worth every penny.

i had it until i went to college, when i got a 1986 Nissan 300ZX, also for 1500 haha. at this point, my little bro kind of inherited my Squareback. well i got out of the fast car phase REALLY fast. so i traded him the Z to get my VW back.

He's tired of it breaking down so he wants to sell it and get an old VW... :)

SO.... the Squareback definately has staying power. i always had my car looking sharp at school. the people with more money - like the ones that bought a Honda Civic and spent double the amount of the car on stereo equipment - even they were like "oh damn that car is tight"

a few even asked where i got my interior done, my paintjob. some people just flat out laughed, but they suck. most people took interest and thought it was cool. strangers would tell me in class "oh hey, you drive that yellow car right?" umm yes "we saw you driving on whatever street!"

so it'll definately get attention. ok i'll shut up....

all in all, an old aircooled VeeDub is a PERFECT first car.

R.Rabbit Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:49 pm

spoon wrote: My little brother wants my car as his first car. Alot of people at his high school laugh when I drop him off... but it's kinda cool that he doesn't seem to care.

all this means is that your brother has some taste and doesn't just follow the crowd and buy a ricer