TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ok i need help with the Voltage Regulator in my 71 Fastback!
AJ99 Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 pm

Ok my regulator in my fastback is bad I think... I checked the red wire that goes into it and that one is hot.... Then I checked the one coming from the back side of it and it is not hot, which it should be when the car is on but not running, I believe... Also when i have the key on none of the wires in the engine compartment are hot at all... I try to start it but it wont turn over now.... I took of the generator off today and had it tested then put it back on.. Now the engine wont turn over... All it does is try to start but wont actually start.... Could the Regulator be doing this or what could be... Also when I have the key on so the radio is on and the electricty should be going back, the oil light kicks on along with the Gen light, which when I had the car running the Gen light was always on after my fire.... But the oil light goes out as soon as I try to start it... I am totally lost on this and my father doesnt know why it is doing this either... :cry: :x :cry: :x :cry:

AJ99 Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:15 pm

ok i replaced the distributor today and the wire from the regulator to the gen. is still not hot, and i just replaced the regulator yesturday.... I am not sure why it is doing this to me now..... Please help me out

OttovonEmden Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:36 pm

Whoa. Don't just start replacing stuff unless you know for sure it's not working. You're just shooting in the dark. Do you have a Bentley or Muir manual? With a VOM meter and one or both of those books you can trace the wiring and check the components. Just go back to where you have juice and follow it one connection at a time until you find the trouble spot. The books will tell you what's supposed to be hot and when, where ground wires are located, etc. Are you sure you got everything hooked back up right after the fire?

AJ99 Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Ya i am sure i got everything in the correct place.... I had an old distributer that the previes owner replaced with one that is newer and electric without the points... I just put the one in with the points because my dad and i tested it and it worked.... Also the red wire coming out of the voltage regulator to the generator is not hot at all even when i have the car trying to turn over..... All the other wires in the back are hot that are susposed to be hot....now that i replaced the distributer..... So i am totally lost still

Russ Wolfe Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:38 pm

The red wire coming from D+ on the generator to D+ on the voltage regulator will not be hot until the generator is charging. This is the BIG red wire. The green wire from the DF on the generator is the field control wire and will only show a small voltage when the generator is charging.
The brown wire from the generator housing to the ground screw on the voltage regulator should never have any voltage on it.

AJ99 Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:40 pm

Thank you soooo much that is exactly what i needed!!!!!!!!!!! I cant explain how much i like you lol.....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Russ Wolfe Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:42 pm

wiring diagrams are on my web site.
http;//classicvw.org/gallery
Search for wiring diagrams.