TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 73 Super project updated pics Page: 1, 2  Next
candyflame73 Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:16 pm

I rolled the car outside today since the sun was out. The pictures inside the garage were not showing the flames very well. The reflections of the trees looked pretty cool on the finish, and the car had no color sanding before buffing. Next is to put on the bumpers (painted to match) and the polished ribbed running boards.

Skim Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm

I have a 62 Convertible Impala that needs a painter. 8)

TimGud Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:43 am

Nice paint! Somebody is talented.

candyflame73 Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:11 am

THANKS! But my father gets all the credit for the body work and the paint job. I just got to finance all the supplies needed to get the job done.....minus the paint, clear and pearls...they were donated by U.S. Paint Corp. and Motortrike, Inc. We've been working on the car off and on for 11 years now. Sometimes taking 6-8 month breaks from it. Shaving the drip rails made it easy to take such long breaks....it was very time consuming.

Fattie Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 pm

any updates ?

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:36 am

Wow....haven't updated since 2008? Doors and running boards are now on.

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:39 am

Wiring of engine compartment. Relocated coil to old engine diagnostic box location.

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:43 am

Engine is installed including carbs from John at aircooled.net and beautifully rebuilt Bosch 019 distributor from Glenn. Props to these two gentlemen...they are gems to our hobby!

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am

Custom exhaust from Tiger at A-1. Lowdown header with custom polished stainless steel race bullet....killer deep tone.

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:49 am

Custom tail lights installed and working.

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:57 am

As it sits at the moment. Still have some odds and ends to do but is registered, insured and driving. This was from a photo shoot....local photographer had a request from a family to use a Volkswagen in the background. I was glad to oblige....cool experience. This angle does show the missing drip rails and how much the rear has been smoothed over.

candyflame73 Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:07 pm

A couple of my favorite photos. First photo is one coat of clear, scuffed and flames are being laid out. The second photo is after being masked...ready for the pearls to be sprayed. The third photo shows off how slick the paint laid down. This is after the pearls were sprayed and cleared and baked off. As soon as it was baked, I took this photo. There has been no color sanding on this....or the entire car for that matter.

candyflame73 Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Installed new steering wheel.

candyflame73 Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Some updated photos of the smoothed rear end.

candyflame73 Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:31 am

Long time without updates. Going a different rout with front suspension, wheels and running boards. Installed a tie rod end flip it kit and converted my struts to coil overs using some killer QA1 products. Huge thanks to VeroDubs for an awesome write up on this conversion.

VERTED71 Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:25 pm

candyflame73 wrote: Long time without updates. Going a different rout with front suspension, wheels and running boards. Installed a tie rod end flip it kit and converted my struts to coil overs using some killer QA1 products. Huge thanks to VeroDubs for an awesome write up on this conversion.

WOW! Looks killer. How did or what did you use for the QA1 conversion. I currently have the TOPLINE Maxx struts but would love to have them adjustable.

Thanks in advance.

candyflame73 Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Here's the write up I got the inspiration from. I just didn't cut and weld like in the write up. Your car is killer by the way.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

candyflame73 Sat May 28, 2016 8:27 am

Progress photos of my front end upgrade. Slow progress that is. Drivers side QA1 coil over, Porsche studded rotor and Fuchs mounted. Gap will close up once its back on the floor. I love my Weld Draglite wheels, but hated the offset. the front hung past the fender a good 1/2" or more. These actually tuck in the fender pretty good. Next is the passenger side and then back on the floor. After that, on to convert the rear.

VERTED71 Sat May 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Looks good....not feeling the Fuchs though. The welds look like they belong but I understand if the fronts stick out.

candyflame73 Sat May 28, 2016 2:15 pm

VERTED71 wrote: Looks good....not feeling the Fuchs though. The welds look like they belong but I understand if the fronts stick out.

I agree on the Welds, but the offset was driving me crazy. The Welds were absolutely my first choice for the car. Will also change the running boards to coordinate with the wheels. By the way, I really dig your car! Killer looking. 8)