TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: help please dynamo pulley
pop-out Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:35 am

Right, need to adjust belt.....but cant hold pulley to undo the nut!!.....hows it done????...on buses and bugs theres a slot in the back of pulley to wedge a screwdriver, but nothing in my pulley.......what have i got to do??..cheers

rloaircool Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:56 am

There should be a slot. If not I guess you could try squeezing the belt together, or maybe carefully grab the outer pulley half with vicegrips.

Russ Wolfe Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:46 am

There is a set of flats on the spacer behind the nut. And I usually just pull the mounting strap and take it out ot adjust it. Otherwise, you will drop something down into the housing and cuss yourself and skin your knuckles, getting it out.

pop-out Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:19 am

Right....managed to do it.....after a lot of swearing....yes droped the spacer in to the housing....TWICE :roll: ..1st time ive done it on a type 3, so prob done it the hard way!!....thanks for the help :D

Russ Wolfe Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:05 pm

pop-out wrote: Right....managed to do it.....after a lot of swearing....yes droped the spacer in to the housing....TWICE :roll: ..1st time ive done it on a type 3, so prob done it the hard way!!....thanks for the help :D
Next time, if you adjust it in place, stuff s bunch of rags in there, so if you drop something, they won't go all the way down.
BUT DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE RAGS OUT BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE.

Mr. Bubblehead Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:54 pm

Every time I adjust the belt tension I get my magnetic pickup tool out before I start because I know that I will need it.