TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust heat
dubnerds Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:27 pm

I just finished rebuilding the motor on a 71 squareback and she's running great! But I had a question for the gurus out there: I ran J-pipes instead of heater boxes and was wondering if I should construct something to separate them from the heads? The reason I'm concerned is that they run directly underneath and I was wondering if they would generate enough extra heat to have a negative effect on the heads/push rod tubes etc.? Or what about that "wrap" I heard about that you wrap around the pipes, would that be helpful?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Miguel Arroyo Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:55 pm

You will be fine, do not use the wrap. It traps moisture and oil and pretty soon it will look like ____ plus rust will start underneath. If you want to do something to help reduce the heat have them ceramic coated, not only will they reduce the heat but they will look great for a very long time.

dubnerds Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:58 am

Just wanted to be sure...guess I'm just a little paranoid/overly cautious. But then again, better paranoid than stuck roadside with a burned up engine! Especially after all the time and money it took to get her running again. I'll look into the ceramic coating. Thanks Miguel!