TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Metal Sunroof Question
Kuncle Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:37 am

Hey everybody once agian another metal sunroof doesnt sit flush with the rest of the roof of my 64 can anybody tell me if there is supposed to be a nut on the end of this screw its there for a reason but i cant figure out why one side does have one and the other doesnt would this having or not having a nut determine wether it sits flush or not? thanks - Kyle

TexasAirCooler Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:38 am

64SunRoof wrote:
Hey everybody once agian another metal sunroof doesnt sit flush with the rest of the roof of my 64 can anybody tell me if there is supposed to be a nut on the end of this screw its there for a reason but i cant figure out why one side does have one and the other doesnt would this having or not having a nut determine wether it sits flush or not? thanks - Kyle

Yes, That flat retaining lever will swing around toward the center of the roof and you will have better access to it.

cwo4smith Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:22 am

That nut is use to lock the position of the adjustable pin that fits into the sunroof fitting and - in conjunction with an adjustment screw at the end of the flipper - allows the that pin to move up or down - thereby adjusting the rear sunroof panel height. If you don't have that lock nut on one of the pins (check for the presence of the adjusting screw as well), that could play a role in your sunroof alignment probems.

Kuncle Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:53 pm

so all i have to do is get the right size nutt, screw it on untill tight? or seated or like kung-fu tight and that will adjust the height of the sunroof panel up or down? thanks alot guys

sixfootdan Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:57 pm

Look here, I took a pic of the same piece you are talking about.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141939

cwo4smith Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:59 pm

The pin height adjustment is made with the screw at the end (top) of the flipper, with the nut tightened down to hold that adjustment in place.

Kuncle Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:05 pm

cool thanks dudes anybody know what size the nutt is? hey irish does your sunroof leak?

sixfootdan Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:10 pm

64SunRoof wrote: cool thanks dudes anybody know what size the nutt is? hey irish does your sunroof leak?
No it does not leak only because its been in the garage for months and I'm leaving the country for a few more so it's always in the garage. :lol:

Kuncle Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:41 pm

lol nice whats your take on seals like the felt seal does that help in anyway with keeping water out? or is it just to relieve wind noise?

sixfootdan Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:16 pm

The sunroof is not water tight, Water will get in and the drain tubes will keep it from comming in the car.

Kuncle Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:38 pm

oh you mean the ones that lead straight to my quarters?

sixfootdan Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:42 pm

64SunRoof wrote: oh you mean the ones that lead straight to my quarters?

There are 4 tubes, 1 to each quarter.

Kuncle Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:03 am

does anybody have a clue why they let the pipes that lead water to the quarter panels? thats so dumb because my arent too nice but im not complaining i love it

sixfootdan Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:53 am

64SunRoof wrote: does anybody have a clue why they let the pipes that lead water to the quarter panels? thats so dumb because my arent too nice but im not complaining i love it I moved mine to come out in the front wheel wells to avoid any further damage to the lower channel area. I can take pics if you want.

Kuncle Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:55 am

yea please that would kick ass thanks bro dude you need to get AIM its alot easier for learning its a bit faster also just my 0.02$