TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Shirt Design - question about legal stuff Page: 1, 2  Next
jordanwlee Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:08 am

Hey guys. Here's a short history....I've been into VW's since I was about 10yrs old. Love 'em. I own a 58 beetle that I am restoring and I am very excited about how its coming along.

I have been doing graphic and web design for a long time now...mostly for bands on record labels and the music scene...

anyways, to my question...

I want to design some very cool VW shirts. I want to go with the vintage/rock n roll look. I am just curious if I would get sued by VW in any way, i have researched the forum and have seen some designs and such. I don't want to get sued if I make these shirts but I really have a passion to bring some sweet designs to the VW scene.

Can you guys give me some input and responses to this? I wanna hear some opinions and if anyone else has made shirts/merchandise???

thanks guys, i'll post designs soon....

Jordan

obus Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:53 am

for starts don't put a vw emblem or logo on it any where. not even sure if you can have the wording "vw" "volkswagen" or "bug" or "beetle" on it.

Glenn Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:04 am

And don't put a picture of a Beelte, Bus or any of their vehicles.

iowegian Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:14 am

Glenn wrote: And don't put a picture of a Beelte, Bus or any of their vehicles.
Don't even admit that your Grandpa owned one. [-(

DaveM Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:22 am

You'll be safe if your design is a nice forest scene with pictures of deer, rabbits, and a high mountain lake.

iowegian Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:31 am

DaveM wrote: You'll be safe if your design is a nice forest scene with pictures of deer, rabbits, and a high mountain lake.
Isn't "Rabbit" a registered trademark???

DaveM Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:37 am

lol.... see, just bag the whole idea, you're not safe.

Glenn Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:49 am

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition

jordanwlee Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:49 am

uh...thanks... :wink:

90volts Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:09 am

as long as you don't plan on selling them go right ahead with whatever you like. when you ask for a buck for them- then you've got problems.

lemorris Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:15 am

contact VWOA and get licensed first.

It's free.
I did and they've never given me a problem with anything I've done. I got to meet a rep at the Chirco/Chapman show this year and I got to do stuff for Chapman VW as well. Let them know who you are and what you plan on doing. Then contact your local VW dealer. Intro yourself and get a vibe on their stuff. If anyone's gonna come down on you it will be VWOA but having friends at your dealership can only help.

Then contact any part suppliers and clubs and stuff. If the club is licensed you won't have any issues and once again...who you know is only part of it...who the people know that you know is key.

It has been my experience that if the work is for licensed entities then they don't sweat you.

If you wish to sell your own line or designs then you will probably have to pay. I don't know what the license cost is on that but for some auto makers it is quite steep. Maybe VWOA will cut you some slack cause you're catering to the unsupported air-cooled community. I'm pretty sure you also get hit with like a 7% off what ever you make thing too...much like NCAA shirts.

I have a friend (Greg Tedder) who is currently under contract with Chevy and because of his relationship he is able to do Chevy stuff....um...only Chevy stuff though....he did draw my car for me which is his first VW and I was thrilled to say the least.

My other good friend is Jeri Clow ( http://www.motorsportsillustrated.com ) She does work nationwide for all kinds of outfits and has no shirts being pulled and stuff like that. She is just the artist but she does have a wealth of knowledge in this area. Send her an email. Tell her Lemorris sent you and see if maybe she can explain how T-shirts unlimited does it. She's a great lady.

I'd love to see some of your work

I've been in shirts for 15 years. Hit me up

http://www.58vw.com

-lemorris

jordanwlee Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:02 am

Well, I figured after a few years, it's time to ask and revive this thread...

Here are some designs I have done. I have a printer lined up and everything ready to go. The only thing stopping me? A risk of a pending lawsuit from VWoA. As much as I'd love to have these printed and selling to the VW aircooled community, it seems like it's inviting trouble, legal headaches and more problems than it's worth.

Here are the designs
http://jordanwlee.com/portfolio/aircooled/

Any info or help around the legal side would be excellent. I've been searching the forums here and found a bit of helpful information, but everything seems like such a grey area to me. I've steered clear of the terms "Volkswagen" "VW" and using the VW logo, but I'm still not sure it's enough to keep me safe.

I've got about 10 more designs and I am wanting very badly to launch this stuff, get to some shows and give back to such an awesome group of people with these shirts.

Thanks for the help and insight over the years. Looking forward to hearing back from you all!

Jordan

jordanwlee Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 am

flat4powerhouse Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:45 am

i will deff buy a couple of these

VWKDF Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:51 am

flat4powerhouse wrote: i will deff buy a couple of these
I'm looking forward to placing an order as well.

EverettB Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am

I don't know the details but looking at your designs I see 2 possible issues.

1. The grey Bus in the trees - the Bus has a VW emblem on the front nose.
I have heard of there being an issue using the VW emblem on other products in the past.
2. The Yellow Scientific Publications shirt.
This manual is not VW but could be copyrighted.
It may be expired or that company may not be in business anymore or even care but this could be an issue.
You even used their logo on the shirt. :)

jordanwlee Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 am

EverettB wrote: I don't know the details but looking at your designs I see 2 possible issues.

1. The grey Bus in the trees - the Bus has a VW emblem on the front nose.
I have heard of there being an issue using the VW emblem on other products in the past.
2. The Yellow Scientific Publications shirt.
This manual is not VW but could be copyrighted.
It may be expired or that company may not be in business anymore or even care but this could be an issue.
You even used their logo on the shirt. :)

Thanks for the reply Everett. I did take the VW emblem off the front of the bus. I photoshopped it out. Good call on the manual - I'll reach out to the company and/or find an alternate workaround for this; maybe axe it all together.

KTPhil Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:46 am

Those are all beautiful.

Sadly, they are all also liable to get you sued. Even with trademarks removed, those images are copyrighted.

Mike Fisher Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Johnj has V W on the 2014 Type 3 Invasion shirts & pictures of VW's.

utahclaimjumper Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Way before you are sued, you will receive a "cease and desist" notice from the affected party's legal dept. You will have plenty of time to work it out or "cease and desist".>>>Dan BTDT