TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: keeps sputtering after turned off
anthratight Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:24 pm

I was trying a few searches on this one, always do to not get anyone pissed, but came up with nothing. I've gotten my 63 up and running quite well. The only thing is that after driving her for a while, when I go to turn the key off, she continues to sputter/turn, up to 15 seconds once. The longer I drive her the longer she continues to sputter after the key is turned to off. The timing is done, and I've recently done a valve adjustment, just trying to give extra info. Any ideas on how to cure this one, it makes her really seem like a jalopy when I'm in a store parking lot and shes doing that, people stare. DT

pribs67 Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:33 pm

Sounds like a bad idle cut-off solenoid. On your carburetor should be a cylindrical metal thing with a wire coming off it going to the coil +. Turn on the ignition and touch this wire to its contact. The cylinder should click when you apply the wire. This is a simple valve to keep fuel from dripping down into the intake manifold when you turn off your car.

anthratight Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks Pribs67, I will try that first thing, DT

DrDarby Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:36 pm

If the 63 is stock / original it will not have one. Then all signs point to running hot, idle too high and timing advanced too much.
PS us old timers put the car back in 1st gear with foot on the brake & handbrake set and let the clutch out just as the engine stuts down.

glandnut Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:46 pm

timing too far advanced.

RIS Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:14 pm

In addition, bad fuel or fuel too low in octane will do it too.

mudder1310 Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:50 am

When I shut my car down I have it in 2nd, ebrake on, and turn the key off as I engage the clutch just enough to drop the rpm a couple hundred. I thought I read somewhere that was a factory recomended technique but that may just just be my imagination.

millerje78 Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:01 pm

that is a really good idea (the engaging the clutch in gear idea), but a properly running engine shouldn't do that, unless you were running the piss out it :D :D mine does it when I've been out RPMing the bejebis out of it. my 30pic3 doesn't have an cut-off solenoid, and I never have deiseling problems, just a long taper down of rpms. do check the timing though. even a couple of degrees of advance too much can bust your engine one in the overheating department.

-j