TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heater tube
62shawn Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm

Did the 64 bugs have a outlet under the rear seat for heat?

My passenger side heater tube, before it goes into the side heater channel, has a diverter mounted on the tube with 2 screws. When I took off the diverter I found what looked like a factory made hole in the tube and a heat shield that went inside the tube to deflect the air.

glutamodo Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Sounds more like you are describing the 1962 setup.

63 and 64's had heater outlets on both sides under the back seat, towards the outside of the car, each one had flaps, with little levers on them, to open and close them. It was 1962 that had just the passenger side having a heater outlet, which was a hole in the heater duct, where a small pipe attached to it. On this, a mult-ply paper hose, that was about 28mm or 30mm in diameter pushed on to it, went past to the battery, then to splittler then down to a heater outlet on either side of the "hump" towards the center of the car.

Here's pics from the factory owner's manuals

62:

63/64

And here's how one looks after 45 years of abuse:

-Andy

62shawn Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:26 am

What year model is the last picture you sent?

Very interesting... All the evidence shown in the pictures says that I have a 62 model setup on a 64 model car. I checked and found the hose brackets on the bottom of the rear seat brace. My heat tube on the drivers side is solid and has never been repaired (hole welded over). Best I can figure out by serial numbers is my car was built late 63 and called a 64, the pan and body serial numbers match.

glutamodo Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:40 pm

That last picture is my 62 bug. (the same car as in the avatar picture to the left) Made in early January 1962.

It's possible that your car could have had a "VIN number transplant" at some point to take advantage of a clear title someone had.

There were a few differences between 62 and 64, you might want to look for these. Many of these are "bolt on" items that may have been changed out through the years thouth. The license light got wider in 1964, by then the the hood had lost the wolfsburg crest and the area under the VW was punched upwards. Front turn signals were still the small "peatnut" style in early 64 but were changed to the bigger amber units at chassis 5888185. In 64, the steering wheel lost the half-circle horn ring and is just a solid bar. The headliner was cloth in 62, vinyl in 64. Dash knobs were light grey instead of ivory in color. The door panels lost the "piping" around their outer edge, and the outside door handles themselves were different, the driver door was now lockable from the inside. At 5911561, they changed the shift coupler under the back seat from the large round type to the square cage type.

-Andy

62shawn Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:13 pm

Hold the presses.... I do not know why but after checking my VIN numbers against TheSamba VIN number listing I found out my car was built between Oct./Nov. 1962. I have checked it several times and for some reason always came up with it being a Oct/Nov. 63 model.

Now does anyone know if I can get it change to a 62 thru the DMV and how much paperwork/time will it take?

glutamodo Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:36 pm

I'd call the DMV and tell them they have it wrong and see what they say.

As long as your car's VIN matches your title, what year the title says it is doesn't matter a whole lot anyway (not when it's that old) - you know it's a 62, or at least you do now.

-Andy