TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2055, 2056, 2057 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
richierich Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 am

awreed wrote: Are you serious? The sled tins on the motor, that's not an easy fix. I can put those on that bus in about 10 minutes. One down. What else? Front seat? Like I said, get it reupholstered.

Body work? Leave it. It ain't perfect, but who the hell is gonna buy this bus to win shows? No one. It's gonna be someone who wants either a project or a split window bus to enjoy. So what if it ain't perfect. What's underneath the bondo? That's a good question that could partially be answered by looking closely at the frame, floor, jack points, etc to see how badly the bus was abused.

The sun roof is gonna be a somewhat pricey and complicated undertaking, granted.

So I'm part of the problem because I'm contributing to hack jobs? FYI most of the aircooled VWs on the road today are hack jobs to some degree. Sure there are plenty of perfectly restored trailer queens, but the cars that are actually driven are, in large part, owned by amateur mechanics like myself. Some of my own fixes in the past would be considered hacks, but I've gone back later after gaining more knowledge and FIXED my shit. Even my 69 Bay was a hack job done by your 'Tijuana garbage' restorer, but I went over the thing and FIXED it right. ALL of these cars are far outside of the usable lifespan that VW had intended. I'm sure those German engineers never could have envisioned their cars being torn apart and fixed 40, 50, 60 years in the future.
There are always going to be opportunists who take these desirable vehicles and try to do a cheap flip on them, just like there will always be a market for these cheap flips. Eventually these vehicles fall into the right hands and they are fixed. But even if they aren't, they're still VWs.

As I stated, the price tag on this bus is certainly up for argument, but please don't call it a pile of shit.

So I'm part of the problem? FOR THE RIGHT PRICE I would buy this bus and FIX it. To me that makes me the solution to the problem. I actually love all air cooled VWs and love to see them on the road, but I wouldn't pay a 23 window price for a modified 11 window. This bus isn't a complete goner.

A $60,000 project. You cant be serious can you? How much time and money do you think you'd have to sink into this to right the wrongs then?

tarzan271 Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:28 am

richierich wrote: awreed wrote: Are you serious? The sled tins on the motor, that's not an easy fix. I can put those on that bus in about 10 minutes. One down. What else? Front seat? Like I said, get it reupholstered.

Body work? Leave it. It ain't perfect, but who the hell is gonna buy this bus to win shows? No one. It's gonna be someone who wants either a project or a split window bus to enjoy. So what if it ain't perfect. What's underneath the bondo? That's a good question that could partially be answered by looking closely at the frame, floor, jack points, etc to see how badly the bus was abused.

The sun roof is gonna be a somewhat pricey and complicated undertaking, granted.

So I'm part of the problem because I'm contributing to hack jobs? FYI most of the aircooled VWs on the road today are hack jobs to some degree. Sure there are plenty of perfectly restored trailer queens, but the cars that are actually driven are, in large part, owned by amateur mechanics like myself. Some of my own fixes in the past would be considered hacks, but I've gone back later after gaining more knowledge and FIXED my shit. Even my 69 Bay was a hack job done by your 'Tijuana garbage' restorer, but I went over the thing and FIXED it right. ALL of these cars are far outside of the usable lifespan that VW had intended. I'm sure those German engineers never could have envisioned their cars being torn apart and fixed 40, 50, 60 years in the future.
There are always going to be opportunists who take these desirable vehicles and try to do a cheap flip on them, just like there will always be a market for these cheap flips. Eventually these vehicles fall into the right hands and they are fixed. But even if they aren't, they're still VWs.

As I stated, the price tag on this bus is certainly up for argument, but please don't call it a pile of shit.

So I'm part of the problem? FOR THE RIGHT PRICE I would buy this bus and FIX it. To me that makes me the solution to the problem. I actually love all air cooled VWs and love to see them on the road, but I wouldn't pay a 23 window price for a modified 11 window. This bus isn't a complete goner.

A $60,000 project. You cant be serious can you? How much time and money do you think you'd have to sink into this to right the wrongs then?

The seller lists his occupation as a "Professionel" VW Restoration. :roll: :roll: LOL

I wonder how many of these steaming piles of crap he is able to sell? When I was a teenager, I bought a blanket in Tijuana. If you looked close you could see strands of recycled trash in the treads such as aluminum foil and old wrappers. Under the shiny paint of this thing, I am sure there is a lot more problems than what we could imagine with this Tijuana hack job. If the things that have been noted are this easy to spot in photos that the seller cherry picked, how many other things do you think are wrong with this bus? I would say that for every thing we have noticed there are probably 10 more things wrong.

SkooobaSteve Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 pm

awreed wrote: cdennisg wrote: awreed wrote: but it's not a complete pile.

Yes. It is.

Are you saying this because it's a 23 window conversion or because it's missing the sled tins?

Here is the deal, I would rather purchase a rusty bus with og paint. That way I know what I am getting into. There is no telling what is under that paint. If you are saying its not a pos since it can be driven you are mistaken. The drivers side "A" pillar is really scary seeing how they must have welded the door hing on or just smoothed it over with filler. That means its about to rust off. Or had rust holes and they figured this was better.
I have done my fair share of metal work and I can say that 100% that is a polished turd. Could easily cost someone 20k or more if they payed someone to make that bus correct and solid.

awreed Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Anyone else wanna pile on? :D
What a fantastic website this is. People from all corners of the globe who share the same passion can get together and share their knowledge and experience (and their opinions) with one another.

Ran When Parked Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:35 pm

awreed wrote: Anyone else wanna pile on? :D
What a fantastic website this is. People from all corners of the globe who share the same passion can get together and share their knowledge and experience (and their opinions) with one another.

The color does not look good on my screen. :lol:

I watched the walk-around video using the link provided in the ad. The video stated that the appraisal came in at 85K (low end). The print ad states that it was 80K.

I get a lot of stuff wrong and/or I am just plain dumb at times, but to mess up the numbers and be off by that much (5k) is just another indicator that something is up.

Before I watched the video, I was looking at the 80K appraisal value and asked my self, "Why didn't he list it at that number instead of 60K?"

Common routine is to list it above what it is worth unless you have a medical emergency or the IRS is coming for you. Then let the buyer talk you down to normal prices, right?

- thought i would complain a bit while I wait on someone to start a thread to dig out that buried bus that was posted in the Bus Hunting thread. Video it please... -

brettsvw Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Sh*tBird wrote: awreed wrote: Anyone else wanna pile on? :D

The color does not look good on my screen. :lol:

I watched the walk-around video using the link provided in the ad. The video stated that the appraisal came in at 85K (low end). The print ad states that it was 80K.

I get a lot of stuff wrong and/or I am just plain dumb at times, but to mess up the numbers and be off by that much (5k) is just another indicator that something is up.

Before I watched the video, I was looking at the 80K appraisal value and asked my self, "Why didn't he list it at that number instead of 60K?"

Common routine is to list it above what it is worth unless you have a medical emergency or the IRS is coming for you. Then let the buyer talk you down to normal prices, right?

- thought i would complain a bit while I wait on someone to start a thread to dig out that buried bus that was posted in the Bus Hunting thread. Video it please... -

I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

The price brought on the comments.

thom Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm

brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

For $600 (about what it's worth), nobody would have even brought it up.

dawerks Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:45 pm

thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

That's not a $600 bus or a $60K bus.

I think there would be a line up of buyers at 20K, and the lineup would approach near zero (but not actually get there) around 30K.

awreed Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:15 pm

dawerks wrote: thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

I think there would be a line up of buyers at 20K, and the lineup would approach near zero (but not actually get there) around 30K.

cdennisg Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:50 pm

dawerks wrote: thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

I would drop that to $10K, only because it appears to run and drive. That seems to be the going rate for a driver bus these days.

Stocknazi Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:28 pm

20K? A line of buyers for a hacked up, bondo'd pile, fake 23 window?
Geesh, what's that about a fool and his money?
That bus sticks so bad I can smell it from here.

'64cal lookdub Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 pm

StockNazi wrote: dawerks wrote: thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

x2, I don't think I would take it for free, I wouldn't want to mess with it.

dawerks Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:26 pm

FAKE 23? Oh.. nevermind. :oops: I thought it was a legit 23, just done up really badly.

Never mind! I think there would be a line up of buyers at 8K, and dwindling to zero near 12-15K

chris henry Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Not really a whine, but in the world of rare campers ( yea I know not nearly as exciting as bondoed up, hack job ,fake 23 windows with easter egg paint jobs, to the common folk) I venture to say this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1817736
at 35 k is a much better deal than this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1809962
at 50k Any thoughts?

DonKombi Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:48 am

StockNazi wrote: dawerks wrote: thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

The owner of that 23, being in the fortunate position of being in Los Angeles, (normally being in LA is NOT a fortunate position.....but in the example I am about to cite...it is).........

He should just rent that 23 out to the movie and film studios.

I rent my 23 window buses to the movie/film studios all the time. At $300 - $600 PER DAY, it is a nice little source of income.

Believe me, those people using it for props could care less about door gaps and bondo covering the door mounting screws.

Being in LA puts you within range of Hollywood.

Take advantage.

EverettB Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 am

chris henry wrote: Not really a whine, but in the world of rare campers ( yea I know not nearly as exciting as bondoed up, hack job ,fake 23 windows with easter egg paint jobs, to the common folk) I venture to say this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1817736
at 35 k is a much better deal than this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1809962
at 50k Any thoughts?

Agree but mostly because the first person is actually trying to sell his Bus. :)

Clara Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 am

'64cal lookdub wrote: StockNazi wrote: dawerks wrote: thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

Did anyone notice that it has been marked pending for a few days?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1813418

EverettB Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:47 am

Clara wrote: '64cal lookdub wrote: StockNazi wrote: dawerks wrote: thom wrote: brettsvw wrote: I assumed the gripe here was the price tag. $60k?

Did anyone notice that it has been marked pending for a few days?

Yes, it said PENDING as the first line almost immediately.

I was actually wondering if that was a mistake but I figured if it scared off potential buyers, then ok.

Sort of mean but:
He did get one person asking to be contacted it if the pending sale fell through so I figured he had been notified.

Malokin Martin Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 am

Do you think that sweet projection TV comes with the tent?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1772298

thom Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:59 am

Clara wrote: Did anyone notice that it has been marked pending for a few days?

That's a typo; it should say pendejo