TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2163, 2164, 2165 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
type241 Mon May 30, 2016 7:05 am

That chandelier would look great in the bus it belonged to originally.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1869261

So #2 is what Jared did. Buy a bus and part out the good stuff.

campingbox Mon May 30, 2016 8:10 am

Should have kept it Greg!

skills@eurocarsplus Mon May 30, 2016 5:46 pm

AS350driver wrote: I will say this about the ABC raffle bus, I'd hope the seller would give the original family that donated it a *slightly* better deal than the $32k, or whatever price that is being floated.

If the stars and planets had aligned and I would have been the oh so fortunate recipient/custodian of the LOVE and effort that was put in that bus, I can say I'd be too afraid to ever ca$h out. Sorry sir, you're the one who brought that up. Karma is a powerful thing. He says he's the owner, not the curator...no, the custodian of a gift is a more appropriate term than either.

Only exception I can think of offhand would be a medical type situation in the family, emergency, something where there's no choice. I hope the sellers' situation isn't so dire, if so then I hope things work out.

It will probably end up with some "investor" buying it for a return that doesn't care about VW's, or overseas.

I don't understand why the guy has had "hate mail" or "death threats" (so to speak) over the decision to sell the bus....it was raffle....no different than buying a lotto ticket...you kind of don't expect to win. so what, he won and wants to cash out, big deal. the folks involved donated time/money whatever and all the proceeds went to charity. mission accomplished. if he wants to crush the bus, it's his. he won.

to think what he is doing is wrong is bullshit. he owns it and is free to do whatever he wants. how people could be angry with this is just insane. he should sell it at market value and go on vacation with the proceeds from the sale. to be honest, had I won the thing the logo's would have been the first thing to go and I would have kept it for a while then sold it.

it's not like this bus was built for a member that got cleaned up in an accident and couldn't afford to replace it. it went to a "stranger" who had a lucky ticket and has decided to move on...big deal

cdennisg Mon May 30, 2016 6:02 pm

^^^ Yep. Except I don't mind the logos.

I do have a question, though. Is a panel of any age, unless it is an unreal original example, worth anywhere near $32K?

hitest Mon May 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Justin- good on you for posting here about your raffle bus. Your decision to resell is certainly a difficult decision after a year. It's great the day you win something huge, but can be lousy when you realize it's nothing you'll enjoy owning. I've been fortunate enough to not experience a true financial crisis. I also have had the luxury of working for an internationally known non-profit for several years. That is why my take on charity is very much motivated by the idea of paying it forward. I don't know another way of looking at it because I call myself undeservedly fortunate.

If I had that bus, I'd detail it, get in touch with the charity of my choice, call a good local auction house and get on their schedule. I'm certain there's a way to have a reserve auction, with anything over that going to the charity. Low guilt with high probability of generating proceeds. You can remain anonymous if you wish. The BJ auctions for instance are insane when the right charity/celebrity/cocktails are combined at just the right time. 8)

Great that you chimed in here.

wcfvw69 Mon May 30, 2016 7:50 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: AS350driver wrote: I will say this about the ABC raffle bus, I'd hope the seller would give the original family that donated it a *slightly* better deal than the $32k, or whatever price that is being floated.

If the stars and planets had aligned and I would have been the oh so fortunate recipient/custodian of the LOVE and effort that was put in that bus, I can say I'd be too afraid to ever ca$h out. Sorry sir, you're the one who brought that up. Karma is a powerful thing. He says he's the owner, not the curator...no, the custodian of a gift is a more appropriate term than either.

Only exception I can think of offhand would be a medical type situation in the family, emergency, something where there's no choice. I hope the sellers' situation isn't so dire, if so then I hope things work out.

It will probably end up with some "investor" buying it for a return that doesn't care about VW's, or overseas.

I don't understand why the guy has had "hate mail" or "death threats" (so to speak) over the decision to sell the bus....it was raffle....no different than buying a lotto ticket...you kind of don't expect to win. so what, he won and wants to cash out, big deal. the folks involved donated time/money whatever and all the proceeds went to charity. mission accomplished. if he wants to crush the bus, it's his. he won.

to think what he is doing is wrong is bullshit. he owns it and is free to do whatever he wants. how people could be angry with this is just insane. he should sell it at market value and go on vacation with the proceeds from the sale. to be honest, had I won the thing the logo's would have been the first thing to go and I would have kept it for a while then sold it.

it's not like this bus was built for a member that got cleaned up in an accident and couldn't afford to replace it. it went to a "stranger" who had a lucky ticket and has decided to move on...big deal

I agree with this and don't understand why there's so much negativity about his decision. He wasn't obligated to keep it for life. I know many people who've won things and sold them the next day.

IMHO, there's more important shit to worry and fret over than this..

EmpiGT Mon May 30, 2016 8:37 pm

I don't think it's the being sold that bothers people. it's the asking price. Far above retail value.. Like said earlier what panel bus is bringing $32,000. panels are the lowest split bus in the chain unless it's a panel with hacked in windows...

LAGrunthaner Tue May 31, 2016 1:28 am

What are the 2 diagonal tubes on the left of this motor?
From here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1919145

tanhis Tue May 31, 2016 4:21 am

LAGrunthaner wrote: What are the 2 diagonal tubes on the left of this motor?
From here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1919145

Oil lines for the oil filter that you can also see in the picture.

skills@eurocarsplus Tue May 31, 2016 7:20 am

EmpiGT wrote: I don't think it's the being sold that bothers people. it's the asking price. Far above retail value.. Like said earlier what panel bus is bringing $32,000. panels are the lowest split bus in the chain unless it's a panel with hacked in windows...

honestly, I don't watch split prices that much. if it's a whine about the price, I get that.

but, I will say if the bus is nice and "over restored" you'd be hard pressed to pull one out of the woods and make it as nice as that one appears for 30K all in with parts/labor. I mean, really, if you could find a clean survivor panel for what? 10-15K that needed NO metal work, you'd easily put another 15K into it just at the body shop to make it straight. just playing devils advocate here...

cdennisg Tue May 31, 2016 7:40 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: EmpiGT wrote: I don't think it's the being sold that bothers people. it's the asking price. Far above retail value.. Like said earlier what panel bus is bringing $32,000. panels are the lowest split bus in the chain unless it's a panel with hacked in windows...

honestly, I don't watch split prices that much. if it's a whine about the price, I get that.

but, I will say if the bus is nice and "over restored" you'd be hard pressed to pull one out of the woods and make it as nice as that one appears for 30K all in with parts/labor. I mean, really, if you could find a clean survivor panel for what? 10-15K that needed NO metal work, you'd easily put another 15K into it just at the body shop to make it straight. just playing devils advocate here...

No matter what was spent to build it, or if your scenario was played out and $30K went into it, it is still a panel. What is spent does not change what it is worth in the end.

skills@eurocarsplus Tue May 31, 2016 9:09 am

cdennisg wrote:
No matter what was spent to build it, or if your scenario was played out and $30K went into it, it is still a panel. What is spent does not change what it is worth in the end.

I get that...but what I am saying is to take you average panel and think you can make it that nice for 3K is insane... its only worth what someone is willing to pay....and that holds true for all of them.

take a fire bus for example...it's just a warmed over panel. now you have all the added expense of restoring the pumps/equipment etc...so does that make it worth more? to me, no, because it's even more useless than a panel van in my opinion. value is in the eye of the beholder

easy e Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 am

I think Brendan could get right around 30k for it. I don't get what's the big deal with the asking price then... right? Seems like the problem is who's setting the price. If Brendan = OK.... Raffle Winner = angry people.

crukab Tue May 31, 2016 2:15 pm

cdennisg wrote:

I do have a question, though. Is a panel of any age, unless it is an unreal original example, worth anywhere near $32K?

Hey, Hey, easy now, Panel peps got fellings too, ya know.... :lol:
And the last I read on thesamba, Singlecabs were the low rent Splits... :lol:
Panels do seem to be a harder sell, unless it is a Doubledoor, or better yet, a Walk Thru DD Panel.
It's his Bus, sell it, live in it, park it & never use, do what you want, donate some $$, maybe to the ABC, that would be great too.
A few years back I donated a Ice pick drivers door for the 1st Trailbash Panel, the Bus got sold once or twice, I saw the door @ Flanders last year, for sale, maybe $300, I laughed, didn't feel bad at all, it went on the T.B. Panel, that was the end of it for me, just a donation of 1 of a plie of doors I had.

easy e Tue May 31, 2016 2:29 pm

cdennisg wrote: Is a panel of any age, unless it is an unreal original example, worth anywhere near $32K? Ya... hey, hey, easy now... panel peeps have feelings too :lol:
My Feb. '58 walk through "Fangidifickidi" isn't an unreal original, but I think it would fetch it... maybe even with some change left over. But if you don't think so... I don't mind you saying it. Sorry for the crappy pic.
So whaddaya think?... 22k tops?

BUCIOBATISTI Tue May 31, 2016 3:21 pm

To say that there is no such thing as a Panel, regardless of year, that is worth as much or more than $32,000 is pure nonsense.

Sure, they may not be as appreciated as other models, but to say that none of them is worth that much is just foolishness.

I can assure you that if you guys who say no had a very exceptional example in your possession, and not one that was given to you for free or won in a raffle, but one that was hard earned, you wouldn't hand it over for beer money these days.

Just about any "proper'", "presentable", and driving Barndoor Panel would have that kind of value, or even significantly more, and that would account for hundreds of examples alone.

I bet that Volkswagen wishes they'd read your comments before they went off the deep end and paid the *rumored* exponentially larger number for this one...

turkis-deluxe Tue May 31, 2016 3:55 pm

crukab wrote: cdennisg wrote:

And the last I read on thesamba, Singlecabs were the low rent Splits... :lol:

Not sure if I agree with this one!! :D

cdennisg Tue May 31, 2016 6:48 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: To say that there is no such thing as a Panel, regardless of year, that is worth as much or more than $32,000 is pure nonsense.

Barndoors are pretty much excluded from the discussion as far as I am concerned, since they are on a whole 'nother planet from the rest of the split world. Never meant to include them in the question.

My point is this; is a post-March 1955 split panel bus, that is not an unreal example of a well maintained low mileage original, worth that asking price?

Mind you, I also never said it wasn't, I just asked the question.

That said, I have little to no interest in owning a split panel, except that they make great storage sheds. But I would take a rough single cab into the fold any day. :wink:

cdennisg Tue May 31, 2016 6:49 pm

crukab wrote:
It's his Bus, sell it, live in it, park it & never use, do what you want, donate some $$, maybe to the ABC, that would be great too.

This.

BUCIOBATISTI Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 pm

cdennisg wrote: ^^^ Yep. Except I don't mind the logos.

A Barndoor Panel would certainly qualify as a "panel of any age". Not trying to argue, just showing that your question clearly lacked the specificity you were stating in your last reply.