TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2164, 2165, 2166 ... 2706, 2707, 2708  Next
Long-roofs Tue May 31, 2016 7:10 pm

What would the value of the 400 original mile Panel be? I am just asking the question, curiosity I guess, hope it does not kill me. :)

cdennisg Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: cdennisg wrote: ^^^ Yep. Except I don't mind the logos.

I do have a question, though. Is a panel of any age, unless it is an unreal original example, worth anywhere near $32K?

A Barndoor Panel would certainly qualify as a "panel of any age". Not trying to argue, just showing that your question clearly lacked the specificity you were stating in your last reply.

Agreed. That is why I restated the question.

BUCIOBATISTI Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 pm

Long-roofs wrote: What would the value of the 400 original mile Panel be? I am just asking the question, curiosity I guess, hope it does not kill me. :)

Several of us have wondered the same thing! As with anything, we can only conclude "whatever someone is willing to pay". Without a doubt, it's in that rare territory where no number is agreed upon as the "clear answer".

On another subject, Eric, did you ever remember a 1958 Ghia from the 1980's that had just 497 original miles on it?

cdennisg Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Only $51K for this panel.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5612042800.html

BUCIOBATISTI Tue May 31, 2016 9:37 pm

cdennisg wrote: Only $51K for this panel.

That might look like a great flip opportunity if you ate peyote for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

cdennisg Tue May 31, 2016 9:48 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: cdennisg wrote: Only $51K for this panel.

That might look like a great flip opportunity if you ate peyote for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

It is interesting that there are a couple of photos with the Sunset Classics watermark on them. Pretty sure Sunset Classics is in Minnesota. Nothing about that in the ad posted on CL in Spokane, WA. If the asking price were dirt cheap, I would surmise that it was a scam. But with the wording of the ad pointing out the benefits of fiberglass repairs, etc. I have to wonder if it's some sort of attempt at slander to Sunset Classics?

mr. lang Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:20 am

easy e wrote: ... "Fangidifickidi" ...
:D HAHAHAH LOL
Easy, you just made my day!

Sorry, nothing to add to the topic. :oops:

easy e Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:24 am

mr. lang wrote: easy e wrote: ... "Fangidifickidi" ...

motofly196 Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:32 am

cdennisg wrote: BUCIOBATISTI wrote: cdennisg wrote: Only $51K for this panel.

It is interesting that there are a couple of photos with the Sunset Classics watermark on them. Pretty sure Sunset Classics is in Minnesota. Nothing about that in the ad posted on CL in Spokane, WA. If the asking price were dirt cheap, I would surmise that it was a scam. But with the wording of the ad pointing out the benefits of fiberglass repairs, etc. I have to wonder if it's some sort of attempt at slander to Sunset Classics?
I saw this posting yesterday, and had to read it at least 2 times. The writer is ALL over the place in description! I'm still hoping that there is an extra "0" on the end of the price? $5100 would be a good deal to me...but like you, I have no desire to ride in a LOUD metal box!!

Clara Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:12 am

cdennisg wrote: skills@eurocarsplus wrote: EmpiGT wrote: I don't think it's the being sold that bothers people. it's the asking price. Far above retail value.. Like said earlier what panel bus is bringing $32,000. panels are the lowest split bus in the chain unless it's a panel with hacked in windows...

honestly, I don't watch split prices that much. if it's a whine about the price, I get that.

but, I will say if the bus is nice and "over restored" you'd be hard pressed to pull one out of the woods and make it as nice as that one appears for 30K all in with parts/labor. I mean, really, if you could find a clean survivor panel for what? 10-15K that needed NO metal work, you'd easily put another 15K into it just at the body shop to make it straight. just playing devils advocate here...

No matter what was spent to build it, or if your scenario was played out and $30K went into it, it is still a panel. What is spent does not change what it is worth in the end.

While you can easily have $30K into restoring a panel, the seller of the Jerome panel doesn't have that.
Still, it's not what the guy has into it, it is what it is worth.

Barndoor prices are aside since the values are as different from 55-67 splits as bay values are.

If the price is too high on the Jerome panel, it just wont sell.
I have a couple panel vans for sale that I think are priced high. They do make great storage sheds. I am super unmotivated to sell them unless I get rid of the stuff inside them. Which I am not motivated to do, either.
But look, honey, there is an ad up. Sure we can sell the panelvans. lol :wink:

langsmer Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 am

cdennisg wrote: Only $51K for this panel.

I went ahead and reported it. It looked like the work of some scumbag who is constantly posting fake ads in the PNW but mostly Portland. Most mornings I go on CL and report at least 2-3 of his ads. Usually they use a fake phone number or one to an unknowing local business. I assume the purpose is to confuse people using craigslist to make it easier for him to scoop up good deals. I have written CL about the problem a few times.

62DoKaGuy Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:03 am

[/quote] "Fangidifickidi"
[/quote]

Still laugh every time I read/hear that name...

jeffff Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:06 am

Hey Brendan, didn't you have a nice wolfsburg panel that you sold for north of 30K?...IIRC

mandraks Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:07 am

easy e wrote: mr. lang wrote: easy e wrote: ... "Fangidifickidi" ...

yeah, but you would have to catch me first! ;)

Long-roofs Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:45 am

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: Long-roofs wrote: What would the value of the 400 original mile Panel be? I am just asking the question, curiosity I guess, hope it does not kill me. :)

Several of us have wondered the same thing! As with anything, we can only conclude "whatever someone is willing to pay". Without a doubt, it's in that rare territory where no number is agreed upon as the "clear answer".

On another subject, Eric, did you ever remember a 1958 Ghia from the 1980's that had just 497 original miles on it?

Not sure I remember said Ghia. Where is it now?

BUCIOBATISTI Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Long-roofs wrote: BUCIOBATISTI wrote: Long-roofs wrote: What would the value of the 400 original mile Panel be? I am just asking the question, curiosity I guess, hope it does not kill me. :)

That was going to be my next question! It used to be part of a very cool collection down here in San Diego back around 1989-1990. I saw it in the flesh at the time, didn't get too close to it as I was nervous to get too close to any of his cars, and only recently came to learn that it was not a restored car as I had imagined back then, but a pure survivor with just 497 original miles on it. No idea where it went or where it might be now.

BUCIOBATISTI Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:57 pm

jeffff wrote: Hey Brendan, didn't you have a nice wolfsburg panel that you sold for north of 30K?...IIRC

Hi Jeff, yessir, that's correct. A few details to be corrected on that one but it was a very clean example and had a Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit on it, too.

motofly196 Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:52 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: Long-roofs wrote: BUCIOBATISTI wrote: Long-roofs wrote: What would the value of the 400 original mile Panel be? I am just asking the question, curiosity I guess, hope it does not kill me. :)

That was going to be my next question! It used to be part of a very cool collection down here in San Diego back around 1989-1990. I saw it in the flesh at the time, didn't get too close to it as I was nervous to get too close to any of his cars, and only recently came to learn that it was not a restored car as I had imagined back then, but a pure survivor with just 497 original miles on it. No idea where it went or where it might be now.
89 to 90 timeframe? I would bet a car like that ended up in Japan. I couldn't get over how many Japanese businessmen were at the Pomona Swapmeet buying up nice vw's. The bodyguard held the cash in a briefcase...I was approached a few times on my bus, but no sale was ever made. My friends Ghia was sold there, and it was in Long Beach the next day getting processed for shipment.

chris henry Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1934719
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EmpiGT Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:59 pm

chris henry wrote: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1934719
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Even dumping another $10,000 for paint and putting together could you even get close to that price??