TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2253, 2254, 2255 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
western auto Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Chris Paterson wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/132095346375?ul_noapp=true

So many screwy things with this bus. I feel sorry for the guy who drops 38 on that pile :/ I think you could actually surf that cargo floor

easy e Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 pm

The window cranks for inner door handles... Ghet-t-t-t-o

Chris Paterson Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 pm

easy e wrote: The window cranks for inner door handles... Ghet-t-t-t-o

I like the church key rear hatch and the t handle decklid. Also the church key cargo door, nice touch!

RHD Notch Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:23 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2023155

Overpriced by a factor of 5 perhaps? :shock:

easy e Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:59 am

^^ Higher, there's NOS early beams for $150 in the classifieds.
Maybe because he's "not online."
But, I suspect it's because he's "not all there."

Stocknazi Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:59 am

easy e wrote: ^^ Higher, there's NOS early beams for $150 in the classifieds.
Maybe because he's "not online."
But, I suspect it's because he's "not all there." The ad also says no email; at $800 bucks I don't think he has to worry too much about that.

Lind Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am

Shamelss plug:

There is this NOS one for sale that has all the parts that actually wear out:
NOS '55-'63 bus front end complete axle beam Price: $2500
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1949234

62DoKaGuy Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 am

Lind wrote: Shamelss plug:

Shameless, but sexy...the ad, I mean the ad.

BulletBus Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:58 am

62DoKaGuy wrote: Lind wrote: Shamelss plug:

Shameless, but sexy...the ad, I mean the ad.

Then perhaps, for 2500 bucks, and all the work it takes to replace all those seals, they should already be replaced. Just my opinion. It's still just a common beam.

Lind Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 am

BulletBus wrote: 62DoKaGuy wrote: Lind wrote: Shamelss plug:

Shameless, but sexy...the ad, I mean the ad. Then perhaps, for 2500 bucks, and all the work it takes to replace all those seals, they should already be replaced. Just my opinion. It's still just a common beam. Someone could certainly negotiate that into the deal. I don't have the tools to press the spindles apart, so it adds a bit of complexity for me as I have to send them out for that. Certainly do-able though.

I have had the ad up for like a year, and I have not received a single email on it. I wonder how many people have bought ridiculous air ride beams and narrowed slammed beams in that time. My shit is NOS, no miles at all.

look at me, all whiny like.....

peecee69 Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am

Lind wrote: Someone could certainly negotiate that into the deal. I don't have the tools to press the spindles apart, so it adds a bit of complexity for me as I have to send them out for that. Certainly do-able though.

I have had the ad up for like a year, and I have not received a single email on it. I wonder how many people have bought ridiculous air ride beams and narrowed slammed beams in that time. My shit is NOS, no miles at all.

Working it into the deal would certainly cause the price to go up. The fatigue on the replaceable material (as a result of NOT being NOS) is almost the same as on this NOS beam. I guess I don't see the value in something that is NOS if it doesn't look like it has been taken care of or able to be used without significant investment. I'd rather buy a new beam with everything ready to go for half the price. NOS only really holds value if it can be installed as is or with some light cleaning. Otherwise, it's just an old part that requires a lot of work to get usable again.

62DoKaGuy Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 am

Lind wrote: BulletBus wrote: 62DoKaGuy wrote: Lind wrote: Shamelss plug:

Shameless, but sexy...the ad, I mean the ad. Then perhaps, for 2500 bucks, and all the work it takes to replace all those seals, they should already be replaced. Just my opinion. It's still just a common beam. Someone could certainly negotiate that into the deal. I don't have the tools to press the spindles apart, so it adds a bit of complexity for me as I have to send them out for that. Certainly do-able though.

Don't get down on yourself, Lind! It's a badass beam for sure. I would whine that it would not extend through '63, because [excluding other subtle, evolutionary changes] the steering damper mount to the steering arm would be earlier, since there is no hold at the arm or bracket attached to the beam; it would mount to the chassis frame mount, as in earlier models up to approx. 03 NOV 61 (Fgst #851 389) IAW P.R.

Just my two cents, as I used to have damn near a whole '55-onwards collection of beams...got rid of it for it took up way too much space hahaha.

Am I being to picky here? Cheers.

Lind Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 am

peecee69 wrote: Lind wrote: Someone could certainly negotiate that into the deal. I don't have the tools to press the spindles apart, so it adds a bit of complexity for me as I have to send them out for that. Certainly do-able though.

look at me, all whiny like..... Working it into the deal would certainly cause the price to go up. The fatigue on the replaceable material (as a result of NOT being NOS) is almost the same as on this NOS beam. I guess I don't see the value in something that is NOS if it doesn't look like it has been taken care of or able to be used without significant investment. I'd rather buy a new beam with everything ready to go for half the price. NOS only really holds value if it can be installed as is or with some light cleaning. Otherwise, it's just an old part that requires a lot of work to get usable again.
Where do you get an all new German parts drum to drum beam for $1250. Do you have a link? I could not find any ads here on thesamba like that. We could not do it for that price at my shop onto a used center section. Of course it is apples and oranges, as this is NOS factory stuff, and not ready to bolt on. It does need work, but all the wear parts have no wear.

62DoKaGuy Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 am

Lind wrote: peecee69 wrote: Lind wrote: Someone could certainly negotiate that into the deal. I don't have the tools to press the spindles apart, so it adds a bit of complexity for me as I have to send them out for that. Certainly do-able though.

look at me, all whiny like..... Working it into the deal would certainly cause the price to go up. The fatigue on the replaceable material (as a result of NOT being NOS) is almost the same as on this NOS beam. I guess I don't see the value in something that is NOS if it doesn't look like it has been taken care of or able to be used without significant investment. I'd rather buy a new beam with everything ready to go for half the price. NOS only really holds value if it can be installed as is or with some light cleaning. Otherwise, it's just an old part that requires a lot of work to get usable again.
Where do you get an all new German parts drum to drum beam for $1250. Do you have a link? I could not find any ads here on thesamba like that. We could not do it for that price at my shop onto a used center section. Of course it is apples and oranges, as this is NOS factory stuff, and not ready to bolt on. It does need work, but all the wear parts have no wear.

And some of us like NOS rather than new [read: aftermarket] parts, even if that means there is/will be additional investment into making those parts serviceable again...

Half the fun of VWs, for me at least, is finding correct OG parts, NOS or used, and making sure those old factory workers' efforts were not in vain haha.

peecee69 Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Lind wrote: Where do you get an all new German parts drum to drum beam for $1250. Do you have a link? I could not find any ads here on thesamba like that. We could not do it for that price at my shop onto a used center section. Of course it is apples and oranges, as this is NOS factory stuff, and not ready to bolt on. It does need work, but all the wear parts have no wear.

I don't have a link - I was talking more practically. I don't know what this unit cost to get it over here, but I'm sure the whole purchase wasn't cheap. Most of the things you sell are priced fairly, so it's not like I think you're trying to make a killing in this one part.

You put a few elements of this setup I didn't mention as part of the price, which I think is fair. But, this is also not an all new drum to drum German beam. It's an unusable (as is) original beam with a need for a complete rebuild.

The fact that you haven't had a single bite on the beam says one of two things - either it's "whine worthy" (although I don't recall seeing it in this thread) or the right person hasn't needed it yet. I tend to think it's the latter. Then again, I'd guess an NOS beam with all new German items (the ones you mentioned) drum to drum would be about $3,500. And there's probably more than $1,000 worth of work and parts in the recondition effort.

crofty Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm

peecee69 wrote: . And there's probably more than $1,000 worth of work and parts in the recondition effort.

Not even $60 for all of the seals for the drums, beam and spindles!

Braukuche Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

crofty wrote: peecee69 wrote: . And there's probably more than $1,000 worth of work and parts in the recondition effort.

Not even $60 for all of the seals for the drums, beam and spindles!

It's the labor that is costly, what is it $250 for a set of rebuilt spindles these days?

Lind Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Braukuche wrote: crofty wrote: peecee69 wrote: . And there's probably more than $1,000 worth of work and parts in the recondition effort. Not even $60 for all of the seals for the drums, beam and spindles! It's the labor that is costly, what is it $250 for a set of rebuilt spindles these days? There are a lot of different ways it could be done and levels which to build it. From the factory, they painted it after assembling it. Someone might want to paint it to show quality, another person might want to leave it like it is with some surface rust. The spindles don't need rebuilt, but most would want to push them apart and install the seals correctly. They are just dust seals, so a person could cut new seals, put them on and hold them in place with zip ties. It would work just fine, but it would look like ass. A person could make the beam work just fine for $75 worth of seals and wheel cylinder kits in an afternoon, or they could spend a whole week and a couple hundred having someone press them apart and back together, or they could spend $500-$1000 to have someone else do all the work.

The beam is not cheap as it is, so I don't want to make it even more expensive without it being exactly what someone wants. Rework sucks. It is a mechanical part which is not shiny. People mostly prefer to put their money into the shinier parts on cars. Most people have no idea how tight a bus can drive, or the feeling of well built mechanicals.

volksaddict Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 pm

A Fing NEW old stock, original vw, german complete front axle! :shock: Worth every penny Lind is asking, should be in that good deal thread.

cdennisg Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Lind wrote: Most people have no idea how tight a bus can drive, or the feeling of well built mechanicals.

It is nice, isn't it?