TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: adjusting clock speed
ducman Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 am

Just re-soldered the "fuse" inside my non-working clock and now it works!

There is a screw in the back of the clock you turn to control the speed of the clock. I searched the forum and all I could find on which way to turn for faster and slower was "trial and error".

Anyone know which way to turn to slow and which way to speed up the clock. I don't want to spend a week pulling out the clock everyday to fine tune it if I don't have to.

BTW, fixing the clock was easy thanks to this link:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/vdo_repair/

SquareTone Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:04 am

Look closely at the back. The one in my daughter's '69 has a tiny + and - embossed above the adjusting screw. If it weren't snowing right now I'd go look and tell you which is on which side.

racerx45 Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:04 am

The two clock I have sitting on my desk (’71 & ’66) both indicate counter clockwise + / clockwise -.

ducman Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:59 am

thanks.

redbug74 Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Adjusting clock speed! I would be happy if I could get 1 of the 4 clocks I have running at all. I have opened them up and for the life of me could not identify the "fuse" I have read about. Is there a picture or diagram that would show exactly which wire/fuse to resolder or can some one point me towards clock repair. Thanks

ducman Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:05 pm

http://www.aircooledtech.com/vdo_repair/

This is a type 2 clock but the fuse is the same. Easy fix. I wired in a 1 amp fuse inline to be sure because I didn't have low temp solder.

metropoj Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:38 am

redbug74 wrote: Adjusting clock speed! I would be happy if I could get 1 of the 4 clocks I have running at all. I have opened them up and for the life of me could not identify the "fuse" I have read about. Is there a picture or diagram that would show exactly which wire/fuse to resolder or can some one point me towards clock repair. Thanks

Must be an early clock. I have a couple that were late clocks that had a magnetic charge that caused a wheel to wind back and forth through a magnetic field, making it spin. Well, sometimes :) ... Sometimes it just gets attracted to the magnetic side and stops dead in its tracks, any ideas ? It's kinda hard to explain unless you've seen the inside of the late clock .....

SquareTone Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:03 am

metropoj wrote: redbug74 wrote: Adjusting clock speed! I would be happy if I could get 1 of the 4 clocks I have running at all. I have opened them up and for the life of me could not identify the "fuse" I have read about. Is there a picture or diagram that would show exactly which wire/fuse to resolder or can some one point me towards clock repair. Thanks

Must be an early clock. I have a couple that were late clocks that had a magnetic charge that caused a wheel to wind back and forth through a magnetic field, making it spin. Well, sometimes :) ... Sometimes it just gets attracted to the magnetic side and stops dead in its tracks, any ideas ? It's kinda hard to explain unless you've seen the inside of the late clock .....
Check the alignment of the pendulum. I have one that would drag at one end of the swing. If it's hanging then you can try to pry it VERY SLIGHTLY away from the magnet. If you go a hair too far then it won't go at all. Unfortunately, mine's blown one of the resistors or something and won't run now. I like the old spring-wound style much better.

spoon Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:50 am

Everyday I have to turn my clock back 5-10 minutes just to stay on time. Let me know if you've had a chance to fix yours.

Justin

6T5 square Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:13 pm

I have a related question. I changed from 6 to 12 volt. My clock doesn't seem to keep acurrate at all. Does the voltage change have anything to do with this or do i just have to make the adjustments that this thread is all about?

spoon Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:42 pm

Yes. From what I have heard there is one thing from a 6 volt that you can use for a 12 volt. I heard that was the starter... only the starter will spin twice as fast. Does it seem accurate that the clock too, will spin twice as fast?

Justin

Captain Slow Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:42 pm

Hmmm, my clock speed adjusts based on how much I drive my 1965 1500 S Variant....If the weather's warm, I'm driving at highway speed, and I'm driving more than say, 10 minutes, the clock will indicate the passing of some time (but not actual time passage). If the car sits (when I'm playing with my 60 or 63 Beetles) the clock will cease to continue keeping time....

btw, it's still 6 volt and all original...