TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Turn signal in Headlight bucket
todshoe Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am

I am wanting to remove the turn signal off the top of the fender on my 63. It only has one wire going to it. I am wanting to move the turn signal to the current parking light position(inside headlight bucket). There are 2 wires connected to the current parking light location, can anybody please help.

62shawn Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:38 pm

First of all it is your car and you can do anything you want but I would leave the turn signals where they are. I change my turn signals to the park lights and I am in the process of changing them back. They are hard to see during the day and at night with the headlights on you can not see the bulb flashing. Just my .02 cents.

Here is what I did to change mine. Went to Auto Zone and bought a universal turn signal socket and replaced the old park lights with it. I kept the old park light hardware so I can change everything back if I did not like it.

I will try and take some pictures to show you what I mean. Did not have to cut the bucket, I only had to add a ground wire for the new socket.

Alan Willis Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:46 pm

one wire is the ground,the other attaches to the bottom of the bulb.swap the wire going to the bottom of the bulb with the turn signal wire,then use an 1156 bulb

todshoe Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:38 pm

I am aware of not being able to see turn signal during the day, it doesn't bother me. I believe the turn signal on the top off the fender doesn't look good. Thanks everybody for the input.

millerje78 Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:23 pm

hey bro,
if you are a welder, you could "french" the turn signals into the fender. On my 66, I used the idea of the 55-57 bug, with the bullet turn signals down and away from the headlight. The position on the fender where the bullets usually go is where I cut the holes. Then, I used some pipe with an inside diameter that closely matched the little cone lights I wanted, then welded the pipe to the back of the fender. This way, the turn signals are not interfering with the contour of the fender, but they are still visible in most driving circumstances.

I will try to post a pic if you are interested in this idea. I did the front turn signals this way, and the tail lights. It looks pretty cool, I think.

-j

Chad1376 Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:42 pm

I've got a '64 beetle and I removed the stock signal and wired it to the parking light location. I also used an orange bulb. The signal is visible during the day, and with the headlights on. The light from the orange bulb reflects in the headlight reflector and lights up the entire headlight - it looks great - like the car is winking. The only possible issue is you can't see the front signal from the side of the car. I think a cop would have to be in a pretty bad mood to cite you for that.

I also replaced the stock sealed beam headlights with an H-4 assembly that has an extra bulb for european "citi lights". Now I have my headlight, signal light and parking light in the bucket.

I'll figure out how to post a picture when I get home this evening (shame on me, I'm still at work).

Chad1376 Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:51 pm

Just thinking..

Maybe my signal is more visible since I DID replace the headlight with an H4 assembly. The H4 has less fluting on the lens and maybe the signal light reflects in the headlight reflector better than with a sealed beam.

Chad1376 Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:02 pm

Here it is with the parking lights and turn signal. I should also say I powder-coated my headlight buckets with a flat-silver color that help the signal reflect.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=249326

Ketterer Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:11 pm

Man, I like that blinker setup!
I've been trying to figure out a way to do that for a while now. I was considering putting signals behind the horn grilles but I think this looks better.
What orange bulbs did you use? 1165??

Chad1376 Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:38 am

Sorry, I can't remember. They're just orange standard 12v bulbs. Got-em at checker auto.

todshoe Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:25 pm

My last car had the H4 buld set up. I wouldn't worry about getting a ticket, you can almost get away with anything here in TX. I had my last headlight buckets chromed, they looked kick-arse