TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: door lock mechanism q'
ducman Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:45 am

My passenger door doesn't shut w/o slamming the door. The car came w/ some really thick-looking door seals and after reading all the posts here about repro door seals I figured that was my problem. Thing is, the driver's door closes all the way w/ way less effort and has the same seals.

Last night I realized the door lock latch on the door (not the part on the body, the the door) was loose. I tightened all the screws but the latch that sticks out of the door is loose and wiggles and can be pulled away from the door 1/8" or so. The mechanism it tight including the door handle. It's the little box that sticks out of the door w/ the latch on it that is loose from the mechanism. There are no screws to tighten it on the out side. There are what loks like tow or three "posts" that hold it to the mechanism. I saw theese by pulling the thing away from the door. I figured these may be able to be tightened.

I took off the door panel and looked up in there. The door lock/latch mechanism is inside a box of sheetmetal. I didn't feel/see any screws to take this plate/box off to get at the back of the latch but must be a way to get the door latch unit out of the door. Anyone know how? Anyone know if this can be tightned or fixed?

Gary Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:39 am

What year is your car?

ducman Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:53 am

It's a 66 but it's the 1600 and came w/ the 67 (post August 66) wiring harness even though the VIN puts it at March 66. So.I don't know if the latch is a 66 0r 67. My latch has no "lube hole" like earlier cars do ( I read that in a post).

GearheadJim Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:37 pm

I had the same problem on my '65, I could find no way to tighten them. I found a set from a later model that worked in my car. I had to make a new rod to connect the inside door handle. The inside lock mechanism does not work but that's not the highest on my priority list. I did this change over 10 years ago and the doors still shut tight

ducman Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks to Martin at The DDB. I picked up a replacement today. Not going to be an easy install though.

GjMan Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:17 pm

The striker plate (part on the door post) is adjustable. Loosen the three screws, move the plate a little, tighten screws, and try closing door. It's a trial and error thing.

BTW, you implied that you saw Martin at the DDB today. If you hadn't noticed, there's a thread at the top of this page (AWOL engine builder) raging over Martin's whereabouts. If he is indeed alive and well and in his shop, you might mention that on that thread. People are dying to know.