TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I have tried everything and nothing seems to work...
DjArsonist Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:50 am

1961 VW: Hey guys its me again! I am having problems with my lights. I check my VW diagram and everything is correct and where it should go. My problem is that every time I use my breaks the wrong break lights come on. Only one of the back lights works correctly the problem is on the right back tail light the upper turning signal bights up and it shouldn’t, wait! I am not done yet at the same time the front right turning signal comes on too LOL it makes no sense. This is just by using the brakes. Everything was working perfectly before until now. I know its not wired incorrectly since it was working before. What should I do? When I use my turning signals it is like perfect. And when I use my headlights front and back are on perfectly it’s that damm break light that are screwed up and I don’t know how to fix it. Can anyone help me or has anyone ever experienced this?

keifernet Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Bad grounds are usually the cause of this. As a test you can add a ground wire on the rear tail light bulb assembly of the side that is afflicted and see if that solves it.

Check all the brown wires that either screw to the body.... I am pretty sure that 61 all screw to the body and do not have spade connections ( I.E. in the engine compartment behind the tar board sides)

DjArsonist Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:50 pm

So your saying to add more ground to the affected light? Does each light section have its own ground? Is it always a wire that connect to the body?

glutamodo Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:09 pm

You still have the 1961 tail lights and wiring intact right?

Inside the tail light looks like this:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945291

That copper spring, that's what grounds the bulbholder. It needs to make good clean contact when the bublholder is installed. And where it bolts to the body needs to make good contact with the fender. That's the ground path. You could add a ground wire to one of those two mounting studs if need be.

-Andy

DjArsonist Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:27 pm

I am pretty sure they are the original tail lights. When I get home I will check out the tail light mount brackets to make sure the ground is making good contact with my fender. Thanks for all your guys help I will let you know if it wors or not.