TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type III Engine Chrome
Sportster Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:43 pm

I've just become the proud owner of 1961 Empi Sportster with a 1964 (so we think ) Type III engine that was converted to 12 volt. Runs great, and has been stored indoors since the mid-70's and run annually.

It's time to upgrade and would greatly appreciate thoughts/advice on cosmetic engine upgrades as I would like to keep the components stock.

As the engine is completely exposed, I'm tghinking of powdercoating the block and either powder coat the engine tin or get chrome pieces. I never to intend to go off-road, just want a really sharp street machine.

From what I've seen, not much out there in the way of Type III engine enhancements. Am I missing anything?

Russ Wolfe Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Chrome tin runs hotter. A gentleman on another forum did some experimenting with it, and found the chrome actually reflects the heat back onto the engine on the inside. He found that the semigloss black that the factory used actually runs the coolest.

Tvättbjörn Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Back in the days when we used those parts on bugs - We painted the inside always black with muffler paint.

FASTBACKDON Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:29 pm

type 3 chrome is not good

Air_Cooled_Nut Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:43 am

Because the engine is not water-cooled, chrome on the engine and about the cooling tin generally isn't a good idea. The engine is reliant upon air for cooling and thus all the physics necessary for that. Painting the block woudl be a waste of money since the only part you really see is the top of the case and the bottom of the oil sump (assuming you don't add a 1.5 qt. sump). If you were to paint it then just the top would be recommended. And powder coating doesn't look good on the case/fan housing unless it's well prepped (time & more money). Powder-coating the cooling tin does work and look great. Negative effects to cooling aren't as drastic as chrome would be. Plus chrome requires more maintenance to keep it looking good.

If you do go the chrome route, just make sure you use all of the stock cooling tin pieces and the rubber seals that surround the spark plugs. Make sure the cooling system is complete and functional.

Think things through, just don't go for everything chrome, and it could be a good looking and reliable engine. Get a Bentley shop manual and ALSO get a Haynes manual if it's pre-fuel injected as the Haynes talks about the carb versions. But the Bentley is a must-have shop manual.

69sqbck Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:42 pm

I have a chromed out engine in my 69 Squareback and powdercoated tins in my 69 Fastback and from my experience I would never chrome a type 3 engine out again. It looks absolutely awesome but deffinately runs hotter than the powerdercated tins do. Heres what they look like....